Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 alternator

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
my alternator is on its way out and just wondering what the standard amp is and what amp would be a good upgrade cos i gotto get a new one and would prefer to get something a bit stronger.

also any recommendations as to where to get one in melb, was looking at the 100amp ones on ebay but not sure if they would fit the 304

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I have this idea in my head that higher amp'age alternators need to run at a higher RPM to charge properly. I seem to remember a mate of mine owning a V8 Statesman with a 100amp alternator, and if he let the car idle at 700rpm with the sound system going, the battery would eventually die.

Any particular reason you need more amps?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
just want bigger amp for all the electrics running all the time and i do heaps of night time driving so lights and everything always on , and everytime i replace something i prefer to replace them with something better

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Pretty sure they have a higher idle too.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
a mate at work told me he bought a bt1 alternator, and that his starts charging at roughly 700rpm.
he did get it reco'd though (or whatever they call it..), so im not sure if thats normal for any bt1 alternator.

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
I performed my re-co on my old alt and got it base charging at 700rpm @ 16.7 volts. Overcharging lol.

But you can use a V6 Supercharged alternator if you are willing to custom make a bracket. They are 120amp and are cheaper than the stock alternator for the 5L. The stock alternator is only 85amp (on a VS 5L) for reference.

You stated that you would prefer somthing better, Well a new alternator will be better no matter what. While you are at it go with a new battery. Always go brand new. Reco's are ****. Not worth the money unless you drive a budget car.

beeb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec & HZ Wagon w/ VP V6
It was for a 308 (but i think the 304's are similar) but i bought a Bosch alternator that was 120amp from memory, the auto elec that sold it to me explained that it was actually one for industrial applications, but it would work fine and only needed a spacer on one side to fit it up... Certainly didn't lack for power. It did need the motor to receive a rev before it'd start producing power however, but after that even if the revs dropped it'd still work. He did explain it, but buggered if i can remember...

HTH.

deanos70

Reaction score
instead of starting a new thread

can a vt 304 5.0 litre alternator be changed to a V pulley , i need to use a v pulley in a conversion im doing

thanks

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
instead of starting a new thread

can a vt 304 5.0 litre alternator be changed to a V pulley , i need to use a v pulley in a conversion im doing

thanks

yes they can, my brother did it to a vt 5ltr alternator so he could use it on his senator but the fins were a bit longer or something so you just need to trim the ends back a bit