Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 alternator

deanos70

Reaction score
yes they can, my brother did it to a vt 5ltr alternator so he could use it on his senator but the fins were a bit longer or something so you just need to trim the ends back a bit

sweet thanks for the info, i like the idea of the 120 amp alt over the 85 amp, plus i already have the vt alt here,

thanks again

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
lol got a spare?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I have this idea in my head that higher amp'age alternators need to run at a higher RPM to charge properly. I seem to remember a mate of mine owning a V8 Statesman with a 100amp alternator, and if he let the car idle at 700rpm with the sound system going, the battery would eventually die.

yep :( i got a 140A alternator and it doesnt charge unless its sitting on 900 rpm or more. lol, was tuning it the other day (block of wood between the brake pedal and seat and in drive cos an auto) and cos' the revs were down to around 5-600 im tuning, tuning, lala alaal, oh dear turned the screw too far and the engine dies... 'no worries, just put it back in park and start her up'

nope. drained all the juice from the battery and had to jump start her...

pain in the arse. no idea why it does it. the pulley is the exact same size as a stock one. weird.

deanos70

Reaction score
hope you got a good vice. the bolt that holds the pulley on is F>>>KEN tight

actually i came of pretty easy, i give the thread a squirt of inox and hit it with a super crap auto rattle gun and it popped off, i was surprised really

Joshc4746

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais vy maloo ute and a 304 in a 2 door surf
You want the aeropro 140amp chevy style with the 2 spacers. 85 amps isn’t much. Light bar is 20amp. Stay away from letting them idle. They are a flat tappet cam. The lifters sit on the cam. Because most people don’t know that those old school cars use the zddp additive as the wear package. The only readily available oil that meets that is penrite 10 tenths 15w-50 at a zppd count of 2200ppm. Also being iron it needs more sulphur. The oil pick up is ******* useless. You may also find that that engine was made of all the best parts from all the gm range. You all seem to like mineral oil based ones but that **** breaks down so much faster. Good luck

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You know your responding to a post from 15 years ago right?

Last edited: