Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Am I Getting Ripped Off?

D

d hsv

I went and had a look and test drive at a Series 1 VT Calais today. It's a 5.0l, auto, silver, with (aftermarket) monaro style rims and an exhaust system (not sure as to specs or whats been done). It's from a Holden dealer, I've been quoted $27000 on the road. I get the feeling it hasn't been very well looked after, but a bit of TLC should fix that I hope... It is bloody beautiful though... Is that a decent price? I know it's hard to say without actually looking at the car. Also how much do you think I would pay in insurance with it registered to a country address? I'm 20 years old, a P plater, and I've had one (minor) smash. Thanks in advance.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Insurance would be NA unless you did it through your parents as a nominated driver and then you'd still have an excess of prolly more than 2K.
If you COULD get insurance, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked at least 5k.

27K for the calais is standard price, considering its a 8, but you didnt say the Kms.
If you suspect the car has been neglected, then don't buy it basically because it will cause you problems down the track.

Be sure thow, as Calais are usually well looked after.

D

d hsv

Hmm bugger that about the insurance. It's done 105,000 kms. It's an ex company car, it's been serviced regulary, I just don't think the bloke who had it cared too much about it. Should be right with a bit of detailing though... It's not in bad nick, just could be better. The sales manager at the holden dealer reckoned I'd be paying about $1000 - $1500 for insurance, taking into account that I'm 20 and I've had a smash, I think that sounds a bit too good to be true... I'll call around tomorrow and find out.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Haha good bloody luck for 1,000.

Mate I think that you won't get it.
And if you do, you'll have a huge excess.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but maybe you should aim a little lower, like a V6??

D

d hsv

Naa **** that I've already got a 6 in my VN S. Maybe a supercharged 6 would be nice... But I want an 8! I'll let you know how I go. I've got a feeling you're right.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I think you would have probs getting insurance for an 8 being under 21, unless you pay huge premiums, but ring around. The dealer would say a grand to get you to buy the car, after all, it's a sale to him, once you signed on the dotted line and found out it's hell more, he will probably apologise for his 'mistake'

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I was 19 and got quoted on insurance when I bought my VS SS. The cheapest I found was Suncorp Metway's quote of $1900 a year for fully comp. That's alot of insurance to pay, by the time you pay off an average 5 year loan you would of paid around $10,000 in insurance. Either buy something where the body can be cheaply replaced like a VL turbo or 5.0L VN, or just dont buy a performance car. With the quick VL or VN, you can pay your third party fire and theft and cut your losses if it get's written off and your at fault. You still have the driveline that is more often than not worth more than the body.

Not to mention that even just 20k would buy a show quality VL Calais Turbo with over 200rwkw's. mmmmmm Or even a supercharged VN SS.

Jake.

G

Grantis1976

If you ever feel like heading to the Sunshine Coast (QLD), there is a VN ss for sale up here for $22,500 that would make ALL of us melt.
C.O.M.E. Racing Stroker- 383ci
C.A.P.A.blower running approx. 12psi ( not 100% sure on that one )
Front mounted intercooler ( HUGE )
MONSTER brake pakage, front and rear
lowered 2.5 inches, setup to go around corners like its on rails
18"x8" ROH Fury with matching gumball tyres
dark grey in colour with black interior
TH400 manualised high stall
Dynomax dyno sheet:- 683 rwhp
That my friend would be worth spending that sort of money on !!!
If ur in ANY way not sure about this calais, leave it alone. There's plenty more out there
Good Luck !!!

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Great Minds Grant

I havent seen that car around, dont get out much these days . I may have seen it in Mooloolaba, used to be a nice maroon supercharged VR getting around when I had my SS but cant remember a supercharged VN SS. There was a nice Atlas Grey one that lived in Coolum a few years back, wasnt blown but.

Interesting that they couldnt build the TH700 strong enough and went with the TH400. Would be quite a gearbox to handle 683hp. Damn that's alot of power for a Sunshine Coast car.

Jake.

D

d hsv

Hmmm maybe I'm in the wrong city!

I thought a while ago about finding a nice VL turbo calais, but the problem with that is everythings 20 years old, it's more than probably been thrashed at some stage, and I don't know enough about engines and **** to be able to fix anything myself. Translation: Shite load of cash when **** starts breaking... Would be nice tho!