Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

An assault on our right to self-protection

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
In legal terms, Australians have a right of self-defence. While some states rely on the common law and others have it enshrined in statute, the right itself is never questioned. Moreover, juries consistently refuse to convict those charged with serious offences whenever self-defence is made out.

What we don’t have is the practical ability to exercise that right. Possessing any object specifically for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence. There are many women, raped and/or murdered, who would have been liable to prosecution had they been carrying anything that might have saved them.

Those agile enough to retreat from an assailant can obviously do so if it is feasible, and it is lawful to use items at hand such as screwdrivers, kitchen knives and beer glasses. But for those unable to flee, insufficiently strong, or with no improvised weapon, there is no option for them but to rely on the police or — if they are lucky — bystanders, to protect them from #assault or theft.

Prohibited self-defence items include pepper sprays, mace, clubs and personal Tasers. In some States carrying a pocketknife is #illegal and even wearing a bulletproof vest is banned.

The Prime Minister is protected by armed guards at taxpayers’ expense, and the wealthy can hire armed security guards, but the safety of everyone else #relies on the assumption that the police can keep us safe. And as the saying goes, when seconds count the police are minutes away.

What this means is that self-defence is not a realistic option for most people, and especially not for the majority of women, elderly and disabled. We have become a nation of defenceless victims.

It wasn’t always this way. A couple of decades ago it was common for individuals faced with an imminent threat of violence to be #encouraged by the police to apply for and be granted a permit to carry a pistol. Women pursued by violent ex-husbands, and of course jewellers and owners of gun shops, were among them.

Australia’s ban on practical self-defence sets it apart from most other countries. Almost none prohibit non-lethal means of self-#defence, while many permit ownership of firearms at home. A few (including most US states) allow the carriage of firearms for self-defence almost anywhere, subject to a permit system.

Australia’s prohibition on practical self-defence is relatively recent, emanating from the 1996 changes in firearms laws that followed the Port Arthur massacre. Not only were many types of firearm prohibited, but Australia embraced an international push to prohibit civilian ownership of firearms for self-defence.

This was driven by several factors. One was a desire to avoid America’s so-called ‘gun culture’. However, this seems to have broadened to include all means of self-defence. Another was a type of religious pacifism, of ‘turning the other cheek’. There was also a type of precautionary approach — average citizens may one day be struck with murderous tendencies. And then there were the perennial claims that resistance is futile and weapons will inevitably be turned against those using them. Underlying all these is the assumption that the government will always be there when we need it. Australians are probably unlikely to #embrace the use of guns for self-defence except in special cases (a battered wife dealing with a murderous ex-husband, for example, or within our own homes).

But there is equally no sign that Australians ever agreed to or have accepted being rendered defenceless. In particular, women and the elderly do not believe that relying on the police to arrive in time will keep them safe. If asked, most would unequivocally demand the right to practical self-defence, at least with non-lethal means.

It should never have reached this stage. Only an authoritarian society would treat its people like helpless victims, with the government masquerading as some kind of guardian angel. Free societies have a strong emphasis on individual self-reliance, including responsibility for personal safety.

It is also the height of hypocrisy for anti-violence groups to fail to promote the availability of practical ways in which potential victims can protect themselves against predators.

Restrictions on non-#lethal means of self-defence should be removed, while methods with limited #potential to cause harm should be made available but restricted to adults. It is time to stop pretending the government is watching over us.

What do you lot think, should people have more access to tools of self defense?

In N.S.W it is illegal to carry a knife without good cause, even in your car,

I have one in my car because frankly I'd rather have one and never need it then need it and not have it, all else fails i have an 80cm breaker bar.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
What do you lot think, should people have more access to tools of self defense?

In N.S.W it is illegal to carry a knife without good cause, even in your car,

I have one in my car because frankly I'd rather have one and never need it then need it and not have it, all else fails i have an 80cm breaker bar.

Good thing about a ute , the breaker bar for the jack is always behind your seat

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I have a large maglite next to my bed and one in the car (tucked between the console and passengers seat) ... For seeing things in the dark of course

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Largest maglite you can get works great! :D

Still I wish we had the right to bear arms like Americans do...

bear-arms.jpg

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
The laws for Swords, Blades and Knives in Victoria is a joke. Because some Asian guy cut someone up with a Samurai Sword -.-

I have my license, have 7 swords, a Viking Battle Axe and a Scythe in my collection. I feel safe.

#### the swords if I saw you unarmed i'd bolt.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
#### the swords if I saw you unarmed i'd bolt.

Well thats the entire problem with Australia's self defence laws.

The law is based around percieved threat and equal or lesser force.

So, scenario.

Grennan, who is 6 foot 5, 140 kg, covered in tattoos, looks to be a unhappy bloke. He is traveling alone and he notices someone behind him.

Bob, who is 5 foot 10, 60kg. Lunges towards me with a medium sized knife. I whip out my Desert Eagle and am able to get off a shot into his chest as he is running towards me.

In this instance, I would have a lot of explaining to do. Because it would be unlikely I would be afraid of the assailant and the force of my retaliation is of a greater force than the one being used. I would need to prepare my anus.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I'm a butcher by trade and if I carry my knives with me in my car for whatever reason, I should by rights have them locked in a box. I just keep them in my pouch wrapped in film if I take them anywhere. Never been questioned doing this.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I don't get it.
I've never felt the need to carry a weapon in my car let alone have one beside the bed.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I don't get it.
I've never felt the need to carry a weapon in my car let alone have one beside the bed.
So you speak for the entire Australian population now?
Everyone should have the right to self defence, criminals carry weapons yet a law abiding citizen can't. Very logical.