Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aussie V8 vs LS1 crankshafts (firing order interest)

The Enforcer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
Kia Ora

Was talking about distinct note differences w/ some mates of Holden engines against the LS1 etc …. I reckon its the firing order… but what i want to know is the crank degree… say a Holden and LS crank have 1st cylinders at 0 deg… what are the dubsequens positions (IE: 270:90:180) not having the cranks infront of me makes me ponder….

chur bro

Baily

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
With the Holden motor, starting at the front, and on the drivers side as #1. Even bank pass side, odd bank drivers side.
1, 2, 7, 8, 4, 5, 6, 3

Now with the firing order of the LS (which I do not know off my head) just check if it is counted from the American drivers side instead of Aussie.

I have a 304" on a stand with no sump on it. Did you want me to take a picture for you?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm pretty sure all GM V8's have the same crank pattern. I may be wrong though.

You can get "I think" 1-7 swap cams for the LS and I believe this makes them fire the same as a holden.

The Enforcer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
Thx for the reply… looking into what you said i came across the info that the LS1 1st cylinder is on the LH bank wheras Holden and cadillac northstar engine have RH 1st cyl

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Holden and LS cranks are all 'cross plane cranks".

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are you talking about Holden 304 Vs LS? If so, it's definitely the firing order.

Dirty WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 WH Caprice, 1998 VS series 2 ute
LS firing order Is 1,8,7,2,6,5,4,3 with cylinder 1 being on the right side looking from the front (passenger side)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm pretty sure all GM V8's have the same crank pattern. I may be wrong though.

You can get "I think" 1-7 swap cams for the LS and I believe this makes them fire the same as a holden.
I googled it and it's a 4/7 swap and strangely puts firing as all on one bank and then all on the other.
That doesn't make sense to me as to the advantage of not spreading the load, but rumor is that you will find a small gain.
Weird.
Not sure on how it would sound though.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I googled it and it's a 4/7 swap and strangely puts firing as all on one bank and then all on the other.
That doesn't make sense to me as to the advantage of not spreading the load, but rumor is that you will find a small gain.
Weird.
Not sure on how it would sound though.

It's for tunnel rams. It's meant to stop two runners trying to fight each other for air/fuel.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The firing order swap only applies to pre LS GM engines, the LS Gen 3 already has the 4/7 swap.

The different notes come from a few different factors, not the firing order at all as the LS has the same "sequence" of firing 2 left and 2 right after each the like the Holden V8. The note comes from exhaust design more than anything. LS1 had cats, they were in a car that couldn't have the same exhaust configuration of earlier Holdens and the muffler designs are different.

Search for LS swaps in older cars and you will still hear the "old school" V8 note.