Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

good thread, having a read now.

quite a writeup, so there are 3 sensors and the ambient light one doesn't get enough light.

i'd encourage anyone to read the entire thread before jumping in as there is also a sunload sensor which interacts with the HVAC.

and you can buy a new one to play with

Last edited:

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
good thread, having a read now.

quite a writeup, so there are 3 sensors and the ambient like one doesn't get enough light.

i'd encourage anyone to read the entire thread before jumping in as there is also a sunload sensor which interacts with the HVAC.

and you can buy a new one to play with

[/URL]
I did the mod shortly after it was discovered. Haven't seen any adverse effect on the HVAC function, but it has been quite an improvement on the on again off again hyper sensitive auto headlights. Easy to do, kind of an opaque almost like a not quite cured silicone goo in there. Easy in, easy clean, easy out. I'd recommend the mod.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I did the mod shortly after it was discovered. Haven't seen any adverse effect on the HVAC function, but it has been quite an improvement on the on again off again hyper sensitive auto headlights. Easy to do, kind of an opaque almost like a not quite cured silicone goo in there. Easy in, easy clean, easy out. I'd recommend the mod.

did you get away with popping it out without removing the centre speaker? Some say they can others not.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
did you get away with popping it out without removing the centre speaker? Some say they can others not.
I pulled out my VF Series 1 Calais V with double sided tape back in 2013. Car was brand new!!

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
i am actually aware of that but the OP did not state he has done that modification.

i upped the time my headlamps stay on via the mylink (I think to a minute), a minute of headlamps on will not flatten your battery unless it is in poor condition or not charging correctly in the first place.

I have a full aftermarket Alpine sound system with headunit, so not sure how I’d change functions like I could through the mylink features

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
May sound stupid but is the dial being left in the auto or standard on position when you leave the car?
I know if I have left the switch in the on position and opened the driver door the car bongs at me and the lights stay on. If its left in Auto the lights will do the entry and exit feature set in mylink (or the go between box that would be fitted to the OP’s car)

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
May sound stupid but is the dial being left in the auto or standard on position when you leave the car?
I know if I have left the switch in the on position and opened the driver door the car bongs at me and the lights stay on. If its left in Auto the lights will do the entry and exit feature set in mylink (or the go between box that would be fitted to the OP’s car)

Nah not stupid mate, simple solutions first. That’s what I thought I’d done anyway to begin with.

The headlights, when I first got it, would stay illuminated for 1-2 mins after I locked/unlocked the car (as a preset) with the lights in auto function (I never manually control unless I have to - like now).

Nowadays though if I leave them in the auto on position, and they’ve activated while driving, they won’t turn off even if I turn the car off and lock it - so I’m making do by manually switching them off (if they’ve activated) whenever I lock up.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Nah not stupid mate, simple solutions first. That’s what I thought I’d done anyway to begin with.

The headlights, when I first got it, would stay illuminated for 1-2 mins after I locked/unlocked the car (as a preset) with the lights in auto function (I never manually control unless I have to - like now).

Nowadays though if I leave them in the auto on position, and they’ve activated while driving, they won’t turn off even if I turn the car off and lock it - so I’m making do by manually switching them off (if they’ve activated) whenever I lock up.

On my Calais V, MyLink has a coming home/ leaving home/ locator function - which activates the low beams for a short duration after the car is shut down and driver door opens/ car is unlocked with key fob. Maybe something has gone kaput in that circuit and your car forgets it is supposed to turn the lights off. I would check that option first - if your car has it.