Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 auto vs clubsport 185i into vs series 2 manual 5lt swap?!

uteeee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
hey all!
like the title suggests ive got a vs 5lt ute t5 manual with a shagged motor
found an auto 185i out of a vs clubsport with low k's which was too good to pass up. ive noticed the clubby motor has a knock sensor but the ute doesnt have the harness do i need it? my ecu is the standard manual 5 lt one aswell.
can it go straight in the ute no dramas? if not some tips or maybe a thread already exists i can look at if someone can point me in the right direction on how to get this baby roaring again would be greatly appreciated! :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
185i motor is pretty much just a 5L with a different tune, if you can get the ECU and loom with it, it would probably be worth your while. If not, you should just be able to drop it in with what you've got and leave the knock sensor unplugged (it usually is tuned without the knock sensor when people do cam swaps because the sensor setup is a bit crappy on the 5L). Just don't unscrew the knock sensor, otherwise you'll have coolant everywhere.

uteeee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
thanks for that was hoping that was the case so pretty much it will be the 185 motor but will have the standard 5 lt tune?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yeah, that's it. The auto ECU will cause you speed sensor and engine light issues anyway unless you get the auto flags removed and change some circuitry.