Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission service 2013 VF Sportswagon

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
One can never be 100 % confident that the so called experts will do a proper job but it's fair to say that having a crack your self may back fire in a spectacular way.

These friggin auto gear boxes on the VF don't take to kindly to being feed the wrong quantity of oil. My recent experience has proved that.
Since I have done my Caprice V (6 LTR) I have Checked two more VF and one of them after I leveled the car in my Garage, the same spot where I did the Caprice I let the car sit for 4 hours where it cooled (I want to leave it later but he had to go home), plugged the computer in, Start the car (a Redline, yes the first and only Redline that I have worked on) the temp was If I remember 36 or 37 degrees C, Took the plug off NO OIL COME OUT, Put the Plug back in, Let it run for a few minutes then taken the plug out again at Temp 45 Deg C NO OIL CAME OUT, Put the plug back in and done it one more time and the temp was over 60 Deg C and took the plug out and IT STILL HAD NO OIL COMING OUT!!! So what does it prove the person or company that done the Redline first auto service at over 120,000k under filled the tranny.
I offered to put more oil in the AC Delco stuff that Holden use but he declined and he was going back to the place where he got it serviced from.

The other car was a Calais 6 LTR VF I had that car over night ( got some computer parts for doing It) GOT A SHOCK as I had the car under cover in my other garage and started the car Cold motherless cold and the Computer told me the gearbox temp was 23 or 24 degrees C and stupidly me forgot to put the drain pan under the car so when I remove the plug OIL come rushing out so what does it tell you IT WAS OVERFILLED and its been like this for 6 months.
Now you might asked the reason Why did it remove the pan on a Vf auto that had a auto change only months ago? Reason a leak in the pan No doubt this one was not service by a Holden Dealer because Holden dealer you there terrific gasket that you can use 10 times so What I did remove the pan, Save the oil for Fu.ck sake Tight arse and gave him my OLD Caprice V Gasket that was on the car and removed by me when I did a Auto Service on our Caprice and the rest is history as the car has no leaks and the right oil level.
PS The Car had a oil leak but it still had a over filled pan.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Since I have done my Caprice V (6 LTR) I have Checked two more VF and one of them after I leveled the car in my Garage, the same spot where I did the Caprice I let the car sit for 4 hours where it cooled (I want to leave it later but he had to go home), plugged the computer in, Start the car (a Redline, yes the first and only Redline that I have worked on) the temp was If I remember 36 or 37 degrees C, Took the plug off NO OIL COME OUT, Put the Plug back in, Let it run for a few minutes then taken the plug out again at Temp 45 Deg C NO OIL CAME OUT, Put the plug back in and done it one more time and the temp was over 60 Deg C and took the plug out and IT STILL HAD NO OIL COMING OUT!!! So what does it prove the person or company that done the Redline first auto service at over 120,000k under filled the tranny.
I offered to put more oil in the AC Delco stuff that Holden use but he declined and he was going back to the place where he got it serviced from.

The other car was a Calais 6 LTR VF I had that car over night ( got some computer parts for doing It) GOT A SHOCK as I had the car under cover in my other garage and started the car Cold motherless cold and the Computer told me the gearbox temp was 23 or 24 degrees C and stupidly me forgot to put the drain pan under the car so when I remove the plug OIL come rushing out so what does it tell you IT WAS OVERFILLED and its been like this for 6 months.
Now you might asked the reason Why did it remove the pan on a Vf auto that had a auto change only months ago? Reason a leak in the pan No doubt this one was not service by a Holden Dealer because Holden dealer you there terrific gasket that you can use 10 times so What I did remove the pan, Save the oil for Fu.ck sake Tight arse and gave him my OLD Caprice V Gasket that was on the car and removed by me when I did a Auto Service on our Caprice and the rest is history as the car has no leaks and the right oil level.
PS The Car had a oil leak but it still had a over filled pan.

Where both of these cars changing gear ok before you looked at them? If they were it doesn't really make that much difference if they are over or underfilled by smallest amount.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just did the service this weekend. Hardest part was trying to make sure the vehicle was level!! Keeping in mind a had the front up on ramps and the rear lifted and held with jack stands... but is there a spot you can put a small level to check it’s actually level??

It’s pretty important considering the fluid level reading relies on this big time.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks
Yes done the same, Ramps up the front and Stands on the rear with ply as shims to make the rear higher or lower. By the way before I did the Caprice V I rang two auto mobs and both of them said to me as I asked them do you have the correct tool to measure the temp of the Gearbox? .
One said I have a IR gun which you should not use. and the second shop said The VF has it own Engineers mode that we can access on any VF or WN that we can Access WHAT A CROC OF SHI>T as the VF and WN has no Engineering Mode AFAIK.

fu.k I always find spelling mistake in the Morning days after I posted the post.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where both of these cars changing gear ok before you looked at them? If they were it doesn't really make that much difference if they are over or underfilled by smallest amount.

The Redine had one issue and If I remember correctly some time the high gear wont change correctly as reported by his wife
The second one I suspect the oil leak was from the over flow pipe but the tube send the oil elsewhere like my VR or the Ve send the excess oil in the chassis rail but it did have oil on the gasket itself. Done both and no Complaints Only Last week the owner of the Calais (another wife) told me the car was still very good NO leaks and running ok. Yes her Husband is a very good man because he repaid me for my services twice in months and he gave me a low price a very had to get item a GPU a RTX 3060 Ti with the Bit Coin Mining Driver that was released by accident by the manufacture ( say Bull as I think it was deliberately released) . Yes I scratced his back and My Satellite hobby is happy now.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
much difference if they are over or underfilled by smallest amount.
In both case It was for me over and under filled. I do know for drag racing they over fill them for a reason. (about 1.5 Ltrs) but what I always do is try to do what the manufacture tell you to do if not someone that are more knowledgeable tells you different.

peter195863

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 vf sv6 commodore ute
Draining and refilling the pan only removes about a third of the fluid. If you want to do it properly, you'll need to get a full flush at roughly twice the cost as they use shitloads of fluid to flush the tranny and torque converter.

You can't check the amount as there is no dipstick. Find a reputable shop and take them at their word.
in the vf when the car is turned off the fluid in the torque converter drains back into the pan ,and when checking the fluid levels the motor needs to be running to get the trans fluid back into the torque converter to get the correct reading . if u do it with the motor stop fluid will run out the filler/level check hole and give a wrong reading .this is by service/workshop manual

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
in the vf when the car is turned off the fluid in the torque converter drains back into the pan ,and when checking the fluid levels the motor needs to be running to get the trans fluid back into the torque converter to get the correct reading . if u do it with the motor stop fluid will run out the filler/level check hole and give a wrong reading .this is by service/workshop manual
The previous post to yours was March 2021, so you’ve posted in a 2 year old thread :p

In any case, from the workshop manual PDF, the maintenance section has the following info

Automatic Transmission
• 6L80 – Pan Removal and Filter Replacement = 6.3 litres
• 6L80 – Overhaul = 8.7 litres
• 6L80 – Complete Trans System = 10.3 litres

So the torque converter can’t drain fully with engine off. If it did drain fully, the “pan removal and filter replacement” volume would equal the “overhaul volume”.

Presumably the “complete trans system“ volume includes lines and oil cooler which is why it’s more than 5he box overhaul.

Unfortunately I can’t check the later part of the workshop manual pdf as Books on the iPad seems to lock up when trying to use the bookmarks within the workshop manual.

peter195863

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just did the service this weekend. Hardest part was trying to make sure the vehicle was level!! Keeping in mind a had the front up on ramps and the rear lifted and held with jack stands... but is there a spot you can put a small level to check it’s actually level??

It’s pretty important considering the fluid level reading relies on this big time.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks
i used my dewalt laser level to get the car level

peter195863

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found it. Best to read the lot I think 17 pages Once again read the the lot then you will understand how I tackled this job
[/URL]
with the vf s u need to drop the pan .clean it all up replace the filter if it needs it .check magnet for metal it will give u an idea of how your box is going . to get the filter out pull straight down .they say not to twist as u can damage the box i ,d leave the old seal in if it s ok they are a prick to get out and if u **** the new one putting it in your up for a whole new kit can't just buy the seal .put filter in seal with so lube on it push up then just hit with the heal of your hand to seat it .put pan and gasket on and tension to Spes . i didn't it squeezed the gasket out so i judged it by feel. put 5 litre s in the fill hole on the right hand side of the box there a rubber bung with a centre pin u pull up then pull the whole bung up and out.put your filler hose in the filler hole .take the bung out of the pan you need to get the fluid up between 30 to 40 deg to check fluid level which is correct when fluid start trickling out the hole in the pan. run it through the gear s then check fluid level again then lock off pan bung and fit rubber bung in filler hole and press centre pin down to lock it in . the bung in the pan is not for emptying the fluid it s to check the fluid level

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
with the vf s u need to drop the pan .clean it all up replace the filter if it needs it .check magnet for metal it will give u an idea of how your box is going . to get the filter out pull straight down .they say not to twist as u can damage the box i ,d leave the old seal in if it s ok they are a prick to get out and if u **** the new one putting it in your up for a whole new kit can't just buy the seal .put filter in seal with so lube on it push up then just hit with the heal of your hand to seat it .put pan and gasket on and tension to Spes . i didn't it squeezed the gasket out so i judged it by feel. put 5 litre s in the fill hole on the right hand side of the box there a rubber bung with a centre pin u pull up then pull the whole bung up and out.put your filler hose in the filler hole .take the bung out of the pan you need to get the fluid up between 30 to 40 deg to check fluid level which is correct when fluid start trickling out the hole in the pan. run it through the gear s then check fluid level again then lock off pan bung and fit rubber bung in filler hole and press centre pin down to lock it in . the bung in the pan is not for emptying the fluid it s to check the fluid level
No,,, You have to remove the old seal as the new filter might be of different brand thus different seal.. What I used is a small screwdriver with no sharp ends FULLY ROUNDED smooth as butter not even a smell of sharpness to gouge the insides to collapse the seal then I use a long nose pliers to remove it
NO,NO
Find a 1/2 socket at the same of the outside of the seal, wet it with gearbox oil, use a 1/2 inch extension to stick in the socket that tap the seal in with the hammer then inspect to see its fully home then use us parm of the hand for the filter (last).

NEVER EVER use the parm of your hand to to fit the filter and the seal as the seal will stretch over and the seal wont go in thus when you fill it with oil start the car it will have air gap between the seal and the body so after a day or so you will have major issues. If your VF has a fitted dip stick the dipstick will fire out and oil will go at least 5 meters in front of the car. Yes seen this with my own eyes, done by a profession tyre mob that serves cae but fixed by me after the car was towed to my place.

To remove the plug I have 90 Deg long nose BUT BUT BUT BUT before Clean the outside before you remove the plug otherwise you will bring rubbisn into the system.
Did you read what I have done, Did you read the Post on how to service the WN Caprice V, find it