Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best exhaust under $1.5k

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
There is certainly some good responses in this thread!
I had the full W310 pack on my previous S1 and it sounded great, but i prefer what I have on my S2 now.

As Cuda has stated, I went with Genie Tri-y Headers ( I wanted more bottom end and didn't want the annoying rattley sound
of exhaust gasses I had at the collector of the DPE 4 into 1 headers as part of the W310 pack), 200 Cell Cats, HSV 2.5 inch Mid section
coupled to the standard bi-modal rear mufflers.

The S2 mufflers are straight through when the flap is open, so no gain changing these. I have removed the relay so these stay open.
The sound is great, loud but great!

HSV rear mufflers are different compared to the Bi-Modal mufflers on the S2.

As for the headers, best bang for buck would be second hand HSV tri-Y's for sure. I would say there would be only a kw or two to gain by going Genies, redback or whatever after-market tri-y's.
All good Duane, but these particular headers being twice as long no compromise execution, plus expanding cone secondary (collector) makes gobs more torque than anything I've tried. At peak RPM is noticeable so more like >15 kW over the short high RPM HSV version.
But it's not really about peak kW up the top end, same as proper x-pipe it is about usable torque around 1800-3500. So yeah the curve is more like a plateau, bigger area under the line.

Walfers62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS-V Redline Manual
So this thing right here thats about to be added to my cart? http://www.planetparts.com.au/hsv-vf-gen-f-r8-gts-sedan-wagon-exhaust-centre-pip :)

@monstar Sorry to be annoying but just to confirm. The ideal choices are either the HSV headers with high flow cats or the Wildcats which have the high flow cats?

btw my budget isn't too strict and considering the price of an exhaust from Walkinshaw I'm quite happy to go over 1500+

Sorry for being annoying. Not as switched on with this stuff as you guys :)
Also the most important question... any strategies for hiding a centre section from the wife?
$30 post isn't bad either!

Walfers62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS-V Redline Manual
Ok so the most ideal form follows function not fit so is not going to look factory at all except at the rear where your wife will see :oops:, also doesn't just slip into place and bolt together with the local apprentice mechanic. More like blow the $1.5k budget with headers and cats alone, and require a degree of professional exhaust centre jiggerry pookery to brow beat into place, and the critical bit is make the secondaries. Nothing out of the ordinary for them though.
Pacemaker 4-2-1 + tuned secondaries + 4" steel barrel cats + 2.5" straight pipe + x-device + hotdogs + stock rear mufflers:
View media item 211Secondary pipe (megaphone) to steel 200 CPI barrel cats near back of trans
View media item 214Straight 2.5" through to pressed x-pipe, located correct length from end of primaries, just aft of the tunnel brace.
Cue to 3:20 in vid below
View media item 213View media item 109View media item 151Then stock axle back, which is existing bimodal with Baillie tips.
So what about pacemaker 4-1, tuned secondaries, cats, then just the hsv 2.5" back to stock rear mufflers?
Are the x-device and hotdogs the same in the HSV system?

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
No crackle and pop on your setup Monstar?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So what about pacemaker 4-1, tuned secondaries, cats, then just the hsv 2.5" back to stock rear mufflers?
Are the x-device and hotdogs the same in the HSV system?

4-1 are a different kettle of fish, let's just say there is a wider more usable powerband with 4-2-1.
No, glad you picked up on that, the position of the x-device on most HSV systems is not for torque improvement (second harmonic order). Is closer to third order, higher up the RPM scale.
There may be an improvement in changing from stock position which is likely either for manufacturing convenience or fitting, yes.

No crackle and pop on your setup Monstar?

Taken a while but NA running flex for long distance touring has been difficult to smooth transitions so I cut out deceleration fuelling, no light off, no cat over temp, SFA retard, altered injection so more like direct injectors, and cam is phased for more expansion on part throttle.
Still 'gargles' overlap during coast down to high idle, I like that.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Thanks man.
It's mainly HSV/Vf2:
340 Clubby Tri-y's
LSA GTS/Clubby 2.5" mid section
VF2 rear mufflers with Bailley tip.
The only part not OEM is a cheap set of 200 cell bullet type metal core cats, which cost say $200.
The irony is, so many go out chasing the unicorn in the aftermarket, spending many thousands of dollars in the process. Only to find, all too often, it's not a unicorn, it's an expensive white horse wearig a party hat. Sometimes its a very nice horse. But, it's never a unicorn.:Do_O
Then others pay even more. For the same unicorn parts, but, rebranded as "Walky's Unicorns". Walky,,, (ahem) tickles unicorns. Walky also makes a promise, that his unicorns won't make mess everywhere. But if it does, the Unicorn Insurance Co (whoever the fook they are?), will skip on in singing tra la la la la la like a fooking Smurf. Ticketyboo magically tidying up the mess the alledged unicorn, alledgedlly caused. Or was it the horse stud who supplies Walky with his race bred horses ne makes into unicorns? No one can say. But, the first time a unicorn shits itself, the unicorn Smurfs and the Horse Smurfs are going to go to fooking war against each other. But then, it's never happened. Or has it? Who the fook knows.
The bottom line is. Spend maybe $400 - $500 on HSV gear. Change cats if you want. I just bought another full 340 spec system, headers to tips, for $450. As good as new. The result is a virtually OEM system, that fits better than unicorn systems or Walky's unicorn systems, which doesn't scrape, shudder, rattle hum, or rust and sounds very nice indeed. Better than the unicorn systems I think.
All for <$1k. Add another say $1.5k for a cold air intake and tickle, and you'll end up with a nice sounding, steed. With as much or more go, compared to the same specced Unicorn, which cost multiples of that.
Oh, and it won't **** itself, so leave the Smurfs alone and stick with OEM warranty.

Hey mate almost decided on going a similar set up on my LS3

Plan is...
HSV 2.5" mid section
HSV 340 headers
High flow cats. Not sure what
VCM OTR
Tune

Worth the extra money for Pacemakers?

Thoughts? Ps. Sorry for the silly questions
Sold my old wheels so might turn those into an exhaust :)

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey mate almost decided on going a similar set up on my LS3

Plan is...
HSV 2.5" mid section
HSV 340 headers
High flow cats. Not sure what
VCM OTR
Tune

Worth the extra money for Pacemakers?

Thoughts? Ps. Sorry for the silly questions
Sold my old wheels so might turn those into an exhaust :)

No need to apologise, but best to ask Monstar that question mate. Price difference would be what? $600?

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
No need to apologise, but best to ask Monstar that question mate. Price difference would be what? $600?

Yeah roughly. Not a huge difference. I had a look at Monstars set up and amazing as it looks it's probably beyond my expertise.

Also I think the HSV parts with a OTR and a tune will be a nice upgrade.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah roughly. Not a huge difference. I had a look at Monstars set up and amazing as it looks it's probably beyond my expertise.

Also I think the HSV parts with a OTR and a tune will be a nice upgrade.
I agree. Good place to start and no need to upgrade but if you want more Just swap the pacemaker long tubes and a section before the cats. That's about a grand.