Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil pump for Vy series 2 LS1

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
trying to solve an oil pressure issue in LS1, can anyone recommend a pump
shouldnit be high flow
whats included in the kit

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Oil pressure switches are common issue.

Anything else will end up being mechanical issue & labour intensive depending on mileage.

o-ring on pickup,barbell in back or rear main seal plate or even bearings...fark knows untill really get into it & mileage

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
When I rebuilt our VZ I used a pump from VCM (not sure of the brand) that came with their upgrade kit (cam, lifters etc) and it works fine - Melling was another one I looked at when we did it a year or so ago and they have a pretty good rep.

There are so many oil pressure related issues that it could be - spending $ on a pump to find it is not the issue would be my concern. I think the key on this one is to do some detailed diagnostics and follow the evidence. As @gtrboyy has hinted at, the problem could range from oil pressure switch to bearings.

A recent post from @wannaeatyourbrains had a sludgy oil issue so he ran a bit of diesel with the oil and flushed it through to fix the problem.

If you've done the diagnostics - I would look at VCM and see what they offer or Melling. If you can pull the beast off the road before you purchase it would be worth checking the clearances and the relief valve and spring; It may be a simple fix.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Mellings higher pressure are a great replacement for stock LS1's. Part 10295. Gives it 10 more pounds and vastly improves the low rpm pressure over stock, which is a weak point

How many kms on her? IMO 200k+ you should be doing your pump anyway for better lifter life

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mellings higher pressure are a great replacement for stock LS1's. Part 10295. Gives it 10 more pounds and vastly improves the low rpm pressure over stock, which is a weak point

How many kms on her? IMO 200k+ you should be doing your pump anyway for better lifter life
I’ve read that using the high flow oil pump on a stock LS isn’t great because it over oils the top end but I’ve also read it’s a good idea.

I’ll be wanting to get my head around that soon.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
To @Op, it’s already been said so much. There is so many places the oil could be leaking inside the motor.

Ultimately if any external causes like obvious leaks and oil pressure sensor are ruled out, it’s more a case of removing the motor and dismantling most of it to find it. That then lends itself to the whole, “Well. While it’s out, may as well…” and Nek Minute you’re running 11’s.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I’ve read that using the high flow oil pump on a stock LS isn’t great because it over oils the top end but I’ve also read it’s a good idea.

I’ll be wanting to get my head around that soon.
That's why I quoted the high pressure part not the high volume. Stock LS don't need volume. It's more that it can cause cavitation if it pushes to hard

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry. I didn’t know there was that. It makes sense though now you mention it. Like in my trade, flow doesn’t equal pressure. All fluids are going behave the same. I should have realised that.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Mine is Mellings 10296 high volume with standard oil pressure spring

Standard 140k km bottom end, blown with about 500hpatw

This was recommended by my engine guy who has built lots of LS's

The added volume actually increases oil pressure at idle, but at higher RPM the oil pressure is correct for the stock bearing tolerances

I would speak to uour engine guy if you have one