Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bilstein Shock Absorbers

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I am looking at getting the Bilstein's fitted to my VU & wanting to know from people who have fitted them, what model they went for & how great they feel?

For my application, I am only looking at either the B4 & B6. I have to need for the B8.

Malaga Suspensions (Perth) says B4 will do as after that, it's onto a B8 as they do not do the B6 for the commodores.

WA Suspensions (Perth) says they only do B6 for normal road use.

4WD World (East - Somewhere) says B6

Bilstein.com.au says only have B8

So trying to work through all this mumbo jumbo & decide. So any input from others would be great :)

Thankyou :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
never heard of this brand before i think its a 4wd brand.

Bilstein have been around for decades and do looooots of stuff. Really high quality German shocks, really big in the motorsport world.

Try GSL Rallysport (forum sponsor), I believe they do them. Bilsteins will be exxy though, what are you using the car for?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I have B8s in my VZ daily and love em. For memory 4s and 6s are regular use shocks and the B8 are sport and then there's more comp oriented adjustable ones above that. You're looking at around $1000 I roughly on the shocks alone and the fronts are weld in inserts so unless you're handy with a welder will need to be professionally fitted. B8s are firm no doubt but with my ute at the height I have it at, (juuuust legal) it handles really well, not the most comfortable thing in the world but for the big boat it is it drives great.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
B4 would be factory spec (oem) replacement b6 would be equivalent to fe2 (kinda) and b8 would be the ducks nute before going to coilovers.

This is what i found from bilstein...
#If you want the very best damping performance and enjoy the control a monotubedamper can give then always go B6 or B8 over B4 (B4 is an OE spec replacement - very good quality butTwin Tube and#therefore smaller piston, less resistance to fade, less consistent damping response). When it comes to B6 vs B8 - the rule is simple again - for a car with factory fitted sportssprings or aftermarket lowering springs - go for the B8 if it exists. This shorter unit will not only ensure positive spring location on droop but will reduce droop for better control of body roll. That said sometimes only a B6 unit is listed - these are fine for lowering 40mm but much more than this wouldrequire the damper to be shortened, which can be done before it is supplied if required.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Why dont you want the B8s? Is it lowered?

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
I have put the bilstein b8's on my 08 clubby not long ago and find them quite well...little less comfort on ACT roads which are **** and full of potholes lol but otherwise excellent. I got my from GSL aswell on here for a decent price but think from memory $800 fronts only??

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Thankyou for everyone's input, greatly appreciated :) I will check out GSL :)

My ute has the blue lowered springs (I think they are koni's?) in them which was done not long after buying the ute. So since it is lowered, not scraping the ground or anything like that because I still carry stuff in the back at times & dad uses it for work purposes at times, so the B8's could be the goer at present & I may lower slightly more just to sneak the B8's in?

Funny enough, I can get the B8's delivered to my door cheaper than what I can get the B6's delivered. Comparing the B6's to the B8's off the Bilstein German Website, the B6 & B8 are pretty much the same, but the B8 is an improved version & made for lowered applications with all the B6 advantages.

Yep, I heard the B4 was more for an OEM replacement & I was told I would regret after 1 or 2 years, so go straight to the B6 or B8.

Pretty much what I want from the Bilsteins is an big improved feel over what I can remember from stock (13 years ago, that's testing the memory) & the current **** Monroe's that were put on. As with my ute seeing normal city driving, I also like to play around on the country roads a lot, 4,985kms since servicing on the 9th December!!!... Everyone wants as much comfort as they can for those long country drives :)

So if I can match up the Bilsteins with the strut brace & sway bars that are fitted, it should be an effin fantastical improvement all around :)

Last edited:

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the B8s might be the ones for you then if you plan on going lower in the future. I got mine through gsl almost 2yrs ago and fronts were $735 inc gst, rears $512. Rather steep but they do a very good job with the sl kings. Only prob ive had was the dust boot splitting, it seems kinda cheap and plasticy, or maybe i just stuffed the install?

Mine is a sedan and im thinking they may not make rears for utes from (my hazy) memory but id love to be proven wrong. Their catalogue isnt very helpful for our cars, gsl will be able to help you out there or contact bilstein themselves.

Note: Im not entirely sure theyre legal to run on the road though considering theyre inserts? Again id love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Well the ute is lowered a little all ready, but I cannot remember how much it was lowered from standard height. If it's not low enough I'll go the B6's, but if it only needs to be lowered a tad more, then I'll grab the B8's.

I've been quoted by 4 different places including Bilstein for shocks all round, so the rear is covered :)