Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black and chrome cleaner

adam.linton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 sv6 sportwagon
Hi gang,
Ive searched and couldnt find anything specific.
Related to my VF storm sportwagon, what are you using to maintain the black spoiler/indicator on the "boot", and the black and chrome on the front bumper?
I find Meguiars trim detailer just leaves an oily finish on the black and im guessing the chrome is thin, so dont wont to polish too much

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Bowdens have a specific item for black plastic trim. I don't recall what it's called as I have never used it but I have used many of their other products and have all been very good value for money and do the job very well.

I'd say the chrome on the front is actually a piece of plastic with a chrome film over it. What ever you use on there, I'd recommend be very mild and very very fine abrasive wise. I wouldn't use any form of metal polish as rhe plastic and film will be too soft

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Related to my VF storm sportwagon, what are you using to maintain the black spoiler/indicator on the "boot"
If you mean the bit on the back window with the brake light. I ran the buff over mine and waxed it and has a nice satin black look.

Bowdens have a specific item for black plastic trim. I don't recall what it's called
Mr Black it's called and it's the best one I've used on black plastic that'll last a few car washes.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Hi gang,
Ive searched and couldnt find anything specific.
Related to my VF storm sportwagon, what are you using to maintain the black spoiler/indicator on the "boot", and the black and chrome on the front bumper?
I find Meguiars trim detailer just leaves an oily finish on the black and im guessing the chrome is thin, so dont wont to polish too much

If youre referring to the inserts that are gloss metallic black, these are painted (Phantom black)

Trim detailer like Bowdens Mr Black is designed for the unfinished hard texture plastic (Like in the rear bumper inserts on the early VF1's, or the plastic that the rear mirrors are made off (The frame, not the covers))

Mr Black won't work on the painted trims as it is essentially a plastic dye.

Ive used Meguiars Ultimate Compound then Ultimate Polish on the gloss back door pillar trims and they come up looking glossy and new. Similar for the painted inserts.