Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bosses baulk at online sick notes

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/30325560/bosses-baulk-at-online-sick-note-service

I really don't see the big deal, I think doctors certs in most cases are just a waste of time. And I have had employers in the past where they will always demand one, If I have a cold, the last thing I want to do is drag myself up to the doctors surgery to sit around for an hour just to be told I've got a cold and to stay in bed for a day.

I rarely take sick days but sometimes it was just easier to go in and give everybody else a cold than deal with a boss who acts like you are robbing him by having a sick day.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Usually if employees are given a maximum of x number of days of sick leave a year they tend to take x days. I once worked for an organisation that gave everyone unlimited sick leave. Result was people only took the days they needed and it was usually one or two days a year. There were one or two who tried to abuse the system but they were soon weeded out.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
When I was employing people I knew that it was real easy to head down to Dr Howlong and get a note for the day or whatever no matter how bs it actually was. I still made them do it because it made sure they actually went to some effort and probably bored the **** out of themselves for an hour or so sitting in some germ infested waiting room for their money that day :p

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Become a sub-contractor, no such a thing as a doctors certificate. You go to work if you have a sniffle or swine flu, a stubbed toe or crippling back pain. It's usually a cold day in hell when I take a day off due to injury or illness.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
It shits me off. My work place always says DO NOT COME IN if you are sick. They send you home if you sneeze.

Yet get all Ill send you to the ####ing Gulag if you dont get a doctors cert. I would honestly rather come into work than try and get a appointment at a bulk billed el cheapo clinic or worse yet have to pay to see a doc just to be told to drink water. If youre going to encourage people to not spread sickness through your workplace dont make people get a doctors cert everytime they have an odd day off.

The Australian Medical Association said doctors could miss important health information in a skype consultation, because they could not check things like temperature, breathing and check in mouths and ears.

Sif it makes a difference. Everytime I go in. Yeah im sick. Cool bye heres your note.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Become a sub-contractor, no such a thing as a doctors certificate. You go to work if you have a sniffle or swine flu, a stubbed toe or crippling back pain. It's usually a cold day in hell when I take a day off due to injury or illness.

Yeah but golf's a different story lol.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just to be clear, I didn't have a problem with genuinely sick. Being honest more often than not it was a bs sickie to avoid using annual leave.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Where I am, you need a med certificate if its more than 3 days. But I have got one if its on a monday or friday just so that it doesn't look too dodgy.

I have taken quite a few days off this year due to stress and anxiety. Safe to say this career I found myself in (and am soon leaving) is not suited to someone with my disposition. Which is why I resigned, and as of next year am choosing a more suitable career path, or restarting the old engineering one. One with far fewer interactions with adolescents.....

If I have called in sick I don't treat it as a day off. I stay at home and do as little as possible, and try to get over the issue that caused the absence.

Since resigning a fortnight ago my depression has all but gone, and my anxiety has been greatly reduced.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I think a mutual respect with your boss goes a long way. My employer stipulates two days off or longer you require a certificate. At the managers discretion however they can ask for one for any absent day if they choose.

A couple of co workers I work with blow their quota every year, take Monday's / Friday's etc and surprise surprise they get hit up for a certificate then sulk about it. For no other reason than I haven't really been sick for a while, I've had about 3 days off in 2 years and one of those was to take my son to hospital for an operation. I haven't been asked to get a certificate.

I don't bullshit my boss or blow Tuesday's after long weekends. I tell the truth and get treated accordingly. Those that take the piss bring it on themselves.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I'm like most people and probably only have an average of one or two sick days a year. I think most bosses can tell who's genuine or not and mine don't really care weather I get a cert or not because it's rare anyway. They just pay.

It's too easy to get one anyway. Doctors certs have lost all their merit I think. We had one kid at our work that took 4 Monday's off in a row (pretty obvious hey?) And had a cert everytime.

I think you should have a few days where you don't need one then the other 7 or 8 you should. Not that they mean much anyway.