Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

breather hoses on rocker covers

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
hey jus a quick question is it illeagle to remove the breather hoses that come from the 5L rocker covers and go back into the throttle body and replace them with little filters and vent the gasses into the open air?? i have seen it done on a few car's in street commodores mags and also have seen it done on PREDATORS car? jus wondering if i can remove them and put the filters on there and will it effect any thing if i remove them and jus bung the holes in the throttle body up and put the little filters on them instead??????????

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Legally not allowed as you will be venting crankcase emissions to atmosphere.

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
hmmmmmmm thawt that would be the case.... do u know weather it would effect anything in the throttle body by removing them at all?

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
As long as the throttle body port is blocked all should be ok.
It is likely you will have an oil fume smell if you have open vents.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
hmmmmmmm thawt that would be the case.... do u know weather it would effect anything in the throttle body by removing them at all?

why bother?

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
oh ok so if i wanted to remove them off the throttle body it woudl be best to link them to a catch can or something like that? or i might jus leave them how they r lol

and to STOCKY: i have seen it done on a few cars and thawt it looked better then dirty black hoses coming out of the covers...

FusionX

Reaction score
There is a legal way you can set up a catch can.... I just have mine running to a catch can with a filter on top.

why bother?

Cause if he does any sort of track work or anything like that, you can quite easily end up with a lot of oil going into the motor. In 6 laps around Barbagallo raceway I lost about half a litre through the breathers... thought I had stuffed something up with the amount of smoke it would blow at times.

They are a bad setup, as if you are in the high revs, you end up with rocker covers/heads full of oil, hit the brakes hard and that oil leaves via the breathers.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
and to STOCKY: i have seen it done on a few cars and thought it looked better then dirty black hoses coming out of the covers...

EPA will love you

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
There is a legal way you can set up a catch can.... I just have mine running to a catch can with a filter on top.

Cause if he does any sort of track work or anything like that, you can quite easily end up with a lot of oil going into the motor. In 6 laps around Barbagallo raceway I lost about half a litre through the breathers... thought I had stuffed something up with the amount of smoke it would blow at times.

They are a bad setup, as if you are in the high revs, you end up with rocker covers/heads full of oil, hit the brakes hard and that oil leaves via the breathers.

so a bit of oil would come out of the little filters if i jus wack them on without a catch can???

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
hey jus a quick question is it illeagle to remove the breather hoses that come from the 5L rocker covers and go back into the throttle body and replace them with little filters and vent the gasses into the open air?? i have seen it done on a few car's in street commodores mags and also have seen it done on PREDATORS car? jus wondering if i can remove them and put the filters on there and will it effect any thing if i remove them and jus bung the holes in the throttle body up and put the little filters on them instead??????????
Where abouts on the intake do they connect to, I know the drivers side one has a port under the throttle body but can’t find one for the passenger side one