Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a ve wagon

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Is your V6 a SIDI?
My log book says you should change the plugs at 90K

I know the Iridium plugs last a bit longer than Platinum.

No Caps. 3.6 pre SIDI built in May '09. Purchased new and no problems at this stage.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
MY09s have a thicker chain but, yeah, the engine is still prone to sludge, which would cause the same problem is not properly serviced, which sadly remains true on SIDIs.

This sludge, could the problem be helped using thsoe engine cleaner products?
Where they put it in with the engine oil and run the engine to give it a clean out etc?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
This sludge, could the problem be helped using thsoe engine cleaner products?
Where they put it in with the engine oil and run the engine to give it a clean out etc?

Definitely. If you're not sure about the service history, or start seeing chain issues, use some oil flush stuff and then do a proper oil change.

There was a thread here with a guy having the dreaded rattle noise. He did an oil flush and it fixed the problem. That was probably some sludge preventing the chain tensioners to work as intended.

BUT, it won't fix an already elongated chain. It would just stop the elongating process. Seeing you've already got a P0008, I would start with switching both sensors. If you get a P0009 instead, then you know it's a faulty sensor and not the chain. The software update you were talking about might also "correct" a small elongation issue.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Definitely. If you're not sure about the service history, or start seeing chain issues, use some oil flush stuff and then do a proper oil change.

There was a thread here with a guy having the dreaded rattle noise. He did an oil flush and it fixed the problem. That was probably some sludge preventing the chain tensioners to work as intended.

BUT, it won't fix an already elongated chain. It would just stop the elongating process. Seeing you've already got a P0008, I would start with switching both sensors. If you get a P0009 instead, then you know it's a faulty sensor and not the chain. The software update you were talking about might also "correct" a small elongation issue.

yeah sadly i dont have much on the service history. I didnt know anything about stretched chains until i bought this car : /

Got a fresh service done from my local mechanic, who i am pretty sure he used 5w 30, hope this was good? but im guessing this would have not did anything the sludge problem? Got any recommendations on what type of engine cleaner to use?

And i like to try the software fix first, and then see what happens. But Holden told me they need to do a diognostics test with them, even if i have already done it else where. Can i not just tell them i want the software update and dont worry about doing a scan? Also i read somewhere about VIm removable through software as well? Would you recommend this if i was to go down the software route?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
yeah sadly i dont have much on the service history. I didnt know anything about stretched chains until i bought this car : /

Got a fresh service done from my local mechanic, who i am pretty sure he used 5w 30, hope this was good? but im guessing this would have not did anything the sludge problem? Got any recommendations on what type of engine cleaner to use?

And i like to try the software fix first, and then see what happens. But Holden told me they need to do a diognostics test with them, even if i have already done it else where. Can i not just tell them i want the software update and dont worry about doing a scan? Also i read somewhere about VIm removable through software as well? Would you recommend this if i was to go down the software route?

5W30 is the recommend viscosity. Make sure he used very good quality oil, Castrol Edge for example. It won't fix the sludge if it's already sludged tho.
I've never used any Engine Oil Flush product (finger crossed) but I guess something like this would do the job: Engine Oil Flush - Nulon Products Australia

Actually you need to perform a flush if the root cause of your timing issue is sludge. The software update is an attempt at fixing slightly elongated chain but the elongation most likely happened because of sludge in the first place. It will get worse if the sludge remains in the engine and the software won't be able to "fix" the issue anymore.

Re the scan before the update, depends how much they charge for they scan and update. You don't want to pay twice for the update if it's already been done.

What do you mean by "VIm removable through software"??

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The engine oil flush stuff is NEVER going to get rid of the sludge that has been seen in most Alloytecs with sludge problems. Never in a million years.

If its extremely early on a couple of really quick changes with good quality oil and a really high strength flush might HELP. But if youre noticing sludging issues, its to late.

In many cases, you just dislodge large chunks of it and it blocks something else up.

robbo59

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sportswagon
I just did the last service on mine as per the book 210,000 ks .... and my battery died today after 8 years .... I have a 2008 VE sportwagon :) always serviced by myself :) and I use Nulon products in it. :)

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I just did the last service on mine as per the book 210,000 ks .... and my battery died today after 8 years .... I have a 2008 VE sportwagon :) always serviced by myself :) and I use Nulon products in it. :)

Curiour but were you getting check engine lights / codes when your battery started dying / died?

Also what Nulon Products you use besides the engine oil?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV