Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caliper bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The reason they are self locking is because the genuine bolt has the thread locking compound already applied. The amount of torque applied to the bolt is not enough to stretch it beyond it's tolerance.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The reason they are self locking is because the genuine bolt has the thread locking compound already applied. The amount of torque applied to the bolt is not enough to stretch it beyond it's tolerance.

That's what I thought and that's why I re-use the bolts and apply loctite to the thread.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
The way I look at it is.....you r saving at least $200 by DIY so another $16 for 4 new caliper bolts is justified.

Workshops are big on reusing bolts where they can but a stretching bolt only really stretches once :yeah: The next time it stretches is called breaking :w00t:

So chargedvx6, how far will the bolt stretch before it breaks?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Next time u do your brakes tell us :bow:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The thing is that you very rarely have to remove the caliper bolts. You don't need to remove them to change your brake pads. The only time I really need to remove the calipers is to machine or renew a rotor so that is not very often. You also need to remove them when replacing a hub assembly and that is virtually never these days. Also to replace front struts, about every 100,000 ks. So it is not like the bolts are being constantly tightened. Loctite is all they need.

Last edited:

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
My last post was removed because I named the installer of my new Harrop calipers on my VZ Ute. I had better not name him this time! I was driving along at 100kph the other day at 6am on an empty Old Coast Road south of Dawesville when the right front corner dropped on the ground. A big effort getting the ute onto a tilt tray and then up on my lift at my home workshop. On inspection I found the top caliper bolt missing. The caliper had then rotated on the lower bolt into the inner rim of the wheel. I heard nothing. When braking the caliper was being pushed hard onto the rim and basically rubbed it away. Even just the drag of the pads would hold the caliper against the rim. In any event the wheel locked without warning and broke apart the suspension, dropping the ute onto the ground. Imagine if that had been on a busy freeway at 100kph. On closer inspection the empty caliper hole had no Loctite visible and the sheared off lower bolt moved easily in its threads confirming no Loctite was used. So I visited the installer today who wanted nothing to do with the issue as. One of his mechanics said they don't use Loctite on caliper bolts. Imagine that, these most critical bolts for safety are just screwed in and obviously in this case were not torqued to the spec.

Am I right to get angry, as myself and others could have been killed? My plan is to get an expert mechanical report and using that report try and get some action from whomever controls the licenses to work on motor vehicles. Any recommendations or ideas people? My lawyer says nobody sues for $5k anymore but this isn't about the money. This workshop owner should be taken to account before he kills someone.

Attachments

• 20240114_062749_resized.jpg
    20240114_062749_resized.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Z20240114_095952.jpg
    Z20240114_095952.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Z20240114_095330.jpg
    Z20240114_095330.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Z20240114_094509.jpg
    Z20240114_094509.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Z20240114_102739.jpg
    Z20240114_102739.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 70

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I doubt the issue was no loctite. But sounds like they were not torqued correctly. Many places don't use loctite on caliper bolts..

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
My last post was removed because I named the installer of my new Harrop calipers on my VZ Ute. I had better not name him this time! I was driving along at 100kph the other day at 6am on an empty Old Coast Road south of Dawesville when the right front corner dropped on the ground. A big effort getting the ute onto a tilt tray and then up on my lift at my home workshop. On inspection I found the top caliper bolt missing. The caliper had then rotated on the lower bolt into the inner rim of the wheel. I heard nothing. When braking the caliper was being pushed hard onto the rim and basically rubbed it away. Even just the drag of the pads would hold the caliper against the rim. In any event the wheel locked without warning and broke apart the suspension, dropping the ute onto the ground. Imagine if that had been on a busy freeway at 100kph. On closer inspection the empty caliper hole had no Loctite visible and the sheared off lower bolt moved easily in its threads confirming no Loctite was used. So I visited the installer today who wanted nothing to do with the issue as. One of his mechanics said they don't use Loctite on caliper bolts. Imagine that, these most critical bolts for safety are just screwed in and obviously in this case were not torqued to the spec.

Am I right to get angry, as myself and others could have been killed? My plan is to get an expert mechanical report and using that report try and get some action from whomever controls the licenses to work on motor vehicles. Any recommendations or ideas people? My lawyer says nobody sues for $5k anymore but this isn't about the money. This workshop owner should be taken to account before he kills someone.
Too damn right you should be angry. They should be held to account and made to pay for damages and whatever else you can legally sue them for.
They did the work and they fcuked up. Had someone been killed I am confident the mechanic/s that fitted those calipers would find themselves in a whole world of hurt from the Police.

Status
Not open for further replies.