Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caliper bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
I was also wondering how sudden stopping could fracture the knuckle. But if you look carefully at one photo, you can see where the calipier has hit the edge of one of the wheel spokes. So I can see a scenario of rapidly-spinning-wheel to zero-spinning-wheel happening. So, maybe that jarring was enough?

I’ve had firsthand experience of similar damage, but the cause with quite different. It was a wheel bearing failure, which broke the axle (or rather just the threaded bit on the end of the axle). The hub became loose, and the caliper was the only thing holding the wheel on. But it soon broke too.
Sorry I cannot find any edge damage to any of the wheel spokes. In clock notation which spoke in the image below do you see it? From the laid on aluminium in the wheel I can't see that the caliper hit anything, it just stayed rubbing in the same line as the wheel. It just welded itself on and then dragged everything along with it in that final rotation.

Attachments

• Z20240114_094509.jpg
    Z20240114_094509.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Z20240114_095330.jpg
    Z20240114_095330.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 37

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Sorry I cannot find any edge damage to any of the wheel spokes. In clock notation which spoke in the image below do you see it? From the laid on aluminium in the wheel I can't see that the caliper hit anything, it just stayed rubbing in the same line as the wheel. It just welded itself on and then dragged everything along with it in that final rotation.

I can see a mark at about 8 o’clock in the first picture.

I the caliper welded to the wheel, it’d be a sort of friction weld, and I suspect it wouldn’t actually ‘weld’ until the movement stopped? I was thinking that it was rubbing against the rim, and getting hot. Then it might have been the (speculative) hit to the spoke that stopped the rotating and allowed the ‘weld’ to set?

I don’t really know, so it’s all a bit of guessing from afar. :)

It is an awful lot of damage and it is hard to work out the exact sequence of the events. It’s quite probable that the caliper bolt was loose to start with.

BTW, what are the sizes of the caliper hole and the bolt? Is there any chance that a 12mm bolt was being used on a 14mm mounting hole?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Discussion is about a VZ Holden Commodore...You're talking about other makes and admit you now nothing about these calipers.

Me a poor man...Who's the one whinging about the costs of housing? Ain't me

Little man? Sounds like you're a keyhole peeper....The only small thing with me is my pee pee....Remind me to block that keyhole to stop you looking

Angry...Far from it...Pointing out you're talking about everything else other than the topic at hand....And if you had taken note of the pictures posted up of the caliper, you wouldn't be making comments about what they are actually like, as you can see..

So best you go read from the start of the topic from the OP posting the pictures up...They start on page 2 of this thread...

Now do I need to go through the rubbish you posted to do with particular sites you access with bolt specs, because workshop manuals are no good, then back flip when it came to flywheel bolt specs and going through workshop manuals because of the descrepancy with those sites

No I said I'll check and see if my data is the same and if it is, then I'm wrong.

I then stated I didn't recall how the Holden alloy calipers are.

You're claiming that I said something else because you're trying to gas light me and it's not just me you do it to other people.

Now go away and stop ruining threads.

You're on block now fool.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks Shane, all I could find was Consumer Affairs, what is this 'tribunal' ?

Every state has a tribunal in the courts, here in ACT it's called ACAT I think in Victoria it's VCAT ect.
Basically a magistrate will decide.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No I said I'll check and see if my data is the same and if it is, then I'm wrong.

I then stated I didn't recall how the Holden alloy calipers are.

You're claiming that I said something else because you're trying to gas light me and it's not just me you do it to other people.

Now go away and stop ruining threads.

You're on block now fool.

Yippee, on the block list because I have pointed out his B/S and he doesn't like it....

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute

I the caliper welded to the wheel, it’d be a sort of friction weld, and I suspect it wouldn’t actually ‘weld’ until the movement stopped? I was thinking that it was rubbing against the rim, and getting hot. Then it might have been the (speculative) hit to the spoke that stopped the rotating and allowed the ‘weld’ to set?

It is an awful lot of damage and it is hard to work out the exact sequence of the events. It’s quite probable that the caliper bolt was loose to start with.

BTW, what are the sizes of the caliper hole and the bolt? Is there any chance that a 12mm bolt was being used on a 14mm mounting hole?
Yup, I saw the mark at 8 but if you blow it up the thin edge is still intact. When I removed the wheel at home the caliper was actually stuck to the rim or welded on. Where I pulled it off it left a raised strip of ally which you can see on the wheel pic at 2. When I move the caliper in the wheel it is like it is on train tracks following the multiple grooves it left in the deposited ally. No damage to the wheel that I can see.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute

Nope, the hole is threaded to the larger of the 2 sizes I saw at the Commodore wreckers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Cheers, I will investigate.
No worries.
Consumer Affairs might just be a waste of time and then they'll likely turnaround and say "oh if you want X outcome you'll need to go to the tribunal"
As long as you have all your paperwork sorted nice a neat so the magistrate can read into the evidence you don't really need a lawyer either.
But a lawyer would be optimal, but the tribunal often has no lawyers involved because it's not a full fledged criminal or district court.

I hope it all goes well.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How far did you drive the car while it was making strange noises? You did contribute to this happening

Status
Not open for further replies.