Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caliper bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
less than 1000km really says installer error, and mechanic should be paying for all repairs
but that doesnt excuse all drivers from noticing strange noises or pulling to side
and having vehicle checked
there are some real death traps on the road, whose owners say but i only drive a couple of thousand km per year
sorry if you feel offended, that was not my intent
I was offended as you are yet another who assumes that I should have heard or felt it earlier when so far none of you have lost a caliper bolt resulting in such damage. How do you folks know that the alloy of a caliper melting against a wheel will make any noticeable noise over wind noise through my open window, tyre and 700bhp engine noise at 100+kph AND my poor 71 yo hearing? That caliper bolt fell out after the start of my trip which was 99.9% on the highway. The soft alloy of the caliper could easily have worn like that within a short distance and then locked the wheel.
You have posted about an issue on a open forum, unfortunately I can't control what comments people post or simply delete comments that offend you. This is the nature of a forum.
No, but you could make it easier to block persons which I have asked you how to do. If that is not possible tell us as another poster said I should do just that. Why have you posted on a post from someone else? How do I reply to the poster when you have jumped on while I am replying? There was only one reply button. I now see you did post this a above. Why the repeat here?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1705816321736.png

Click on the members name and hit ignore.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Live and learn I guess :)

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
A 255x40- 17 front tyre is 1.997 m in circumference. At 100kph that front wheel rotates at 833rpm. So in the 10 minutes I was driving before failure it would have rotated 8,333 times or something less depending on when the caliper bolt fell out. So even at 5 minutes before the bolt fell out we have over 4,000 revolutions with the caliper pressed against the wheel by the drag of the pads and the build up of friction as it melted, not allowing for any braking I may have done. Like the installer who said I should have noticed and stopped, you folks who also say the same, give your head a shake and put it in perspective. I heard or felt nothing for at most 10 minutes while I had a load of rattling wooden deck fencing in the back with the window down at 100kph with the lovely sound of a 700bhp LS7 at 2,000rpm. And like I said, does the caliper alloy actually make a noise while it is friction melting?

Last edited:

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
A 255x40- 17 front tyre is 1.997 m in circumference. At 100kph that front wheel rotates at 833rpm. So in the 10 minutes I was driving before failure it would have rotated 8,333 times or something less depending on when the caliper bolt fell out. So even at 5 minutes before the bolt fell out we have over 4,000 revolutions with the caliper pressed against the wheel by the drag of the pads and the build up of friction as it melted, not allowing for any braking I may have done. Like the installer who said I should have noticed and stopped, you folks who also say the same, give your head a shake and put it in perspective. I heard or felt nothing for at most 10 minutes while I had a loose load of wooden deck fencing in the back with the window down at 100kph with the lovely sound of a 700bhp LS7 at 1,900rpm. And like I said, does the caliper alloy actually make a noise while it is friction melting? Also as the wheel was rotating in its usual manner with no uneven masses, in the usual plane of rotation, and the caliper still attached by the remaining bolt. What vibrations prior to that remaining bolt sheering off, would be sent through the steering wheel? I do wonder why it didn't pull to the right but then how much actual friction was there in a film of molten alloy?

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
And like I said, does the caliper alloy actually make a noise while it is friction melting?
IMHO
I recon it would have been making some sort of a scrapping noise/sound,
and should have felt through the steering wheel.

Regardless of other external noises.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
IMHO
I recon it would have been making some sort of a scrapping noise/sound,
and should have felt through the steering wheel.

Regardless of other external noises.

So I once left a caliper bolt out totally, and you would be surprised, it didn't make much noise at all, well none whatsoever.
I only picked it up when I put it on the wheel aligner to wheel align it after a 5k job.
I did a 5 minute test drive and all.
When I saw it my heart sunk as I could've let it out, I was an apprentice at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.