Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caliper bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
But regardless of opinions, I've said it needs to go to court and the learnard one, the magistrate needs to decide.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
So I once left a caliper bolt out totally, and you would be surprised, it didn't make much noise at all, well none whatsoever.
I only picked it up when I put it on the wheel aligner to wheel align it after a 5k job.
I did a 5 minute test drive and all.
When I saw it my heart sunk as I could've let it out, I was an apprentice at the time.
I am assuming it was the bottom one you left out ?

There still would have been a bit of flex in the caliper and pads, and an unusual rubbing noise cornering.
That said,
When I road test any of our cars after working on them,
the Radio is ALWAYS turned off,
Window down for the first few minutes, then up for the next few minutes.

And that is what my Boss always told me "No Radio"

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It’s a tricky situation. I’d be fairly certain that those (or at least one) caliper bolts wasn’t done up correctly. The bolt has come out and all the other issues have followed. So, I‘d also be fairly confident that the workshop that fitted the calipers is the primary culprit.

However, (if I have understood the various posts correctly) it seems that there has been considerable time between the fitting of the calipers and the failure happening - but not a lot of mileage. I think that the extended time will make it a bit more difficult to legally prove the connection between the fitting of the calipers and the breakdown, than if it happened within a week or two.

I think you have to work out want you want to achieve, and then work out how to achieve that aim.

I think you have already been back to the place to discuss it with them and they have (to put it politely) denied any responsibility. This is unfortunate, and makes life more difficult for all concerned.

If I really wanted them to pay and admit fault, I’d be taking the full legal pathway. But I suspect that it will cost a lot of time and money upfront (for engineering reports, etc.). I don’t really know how long small claims and the like take, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you are waiting a year, and even then there would be no certainty as to the outcome. You might win and still be out of pocket.

If I were in that situation, I think I’d probably just get it fixed and move on. And chalk the whole episode up to experience (and not go back to the place that fitted the calipers for any future work). I’d just want to get my car back on the road, and know that the work has been done correctly. I’d be reluctant to have the original place involved in doing the rectification work.

An ‘in between’ option might be to engage a local solicitor to write them a letter of demand (or whatever they call it) and see if they come to the party. They might say ”bring it in and we’ll fix it”. Or they might not. But if it were me, and the original place does fix it, I’d be immediately taking the car to another place for an independent inspection. Or at least I’ll be checking the caliper bolts are tight myself.

One thing that might work in your favour is if they have provided an itemised invoice and it doesn’t show new caliper bolts. Holden explicitly state (multiple times) in their service manual that the bolts must be replaced with new each time they are removed. Yes, I know many people do reuse them, but legally, the workshop isn’t doing the job right (by defying manufacturer’s instructions) if those bolts haven’t been replaced.

In summary, I do think you have a case, and I strongly suspect those bolts were loose, but pragmatically I think I’d save myself the cost, anguish, and delays and just get it fixed properly. And chalk it up to ‘live and learn’.

:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No bolt, no noise. Maybe he's been driving it for a year with only 1 bolt holding the caliper on? Doubt it...

What is clear is that it's a highly modified car if it has a 700hp LS7 in it and the OP professes to be a ex race car driver so god only knows what's happened to said car between the brakes been fitted and the brake problem occurring.

Heavily modified vehicle, was it certified for street use? is it street legal?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
No bolt, no noise. Maybe he's been driving it for a year with only 1 bolt holding the caliper on? Doubt it...

What is clear is that it's a highly modified car if it has a 700hp LS7 in it and the OP professes to be a ex race car driver so god only knows what's happened to said car between the brakes been fitted and the brake problem occurring.

well the front tyre page 2, looks like it is on the wear indicator, so not likely roadworthy

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Look at your Mickey Mouse and read. Where have I claimed to be a professional mechanic? Mechanical Engineers design, they are not mechanics. Why do these threads always end up abusing the thread starter?

Not insinuating you're a mechanic.

My comment is purely showing there are 2 areas at play here...

1 noise....I accept you may have some form of deafness...I have a industrial deafness due to my trade therefore require hearing aids.....So the possibility of not hearing noises is high probability....

The other thing at play here is wobble in the steering wheel, especially under braking.

Either of these 2 issues would point to an issue needing checking into further, no matter your background....From that, you would seek professional advise....

I have also stated the mechanic is partly to blame for not doing the bolt up properly in the first place

As for me abusing you...Far from it...I have outlined the issues at play here, so take it from what you will...

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I object. How could I have possibly contributed?
What sort of idiots do you think we all are that would of been pulling on the steering wheel and making strange noises, you as the driver are at fault for continuing to drive the car. You said you drove it close to 1000 k's like that did you not? If you couldn't pick that up you shouldn't be on the road. Why do you think we all should be pissing in your pocket?

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
So I once left a caliper bolt out totally, and you would be surprised, it didn't make much noise at all, well none whatsoever.
I only picked it up when I put it on the wheel aligner to wheel align it after a 5k job.
I did a 5 minute test drive and all.
When I saw it my heart sunk as I could've let it out, I was an apprentice at the time.
Depends which bolt fell out. If my lower bolt had fallen out there would have been no damage as the caliper would not have been pushed into the wheel.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
It’s a tricky situation. I’d be fairly certain that those (or at least one) caliper bolts wasn’t done up correctly. The bolt has come out and all the other issues have followed. So, I‘d also be fairly confident that the workshop that fitted the calipers is the primary culprit.

However, (if I have understood the various posts correctly) it seems that there has been considerable time between the fitting of the calipers and the failure happening - but not a lot of mileage. I think that the extended time will make it a bit more difficult to legally prove the connection between the fitting of the calipers and the breakdown, than if it happened within a week or two.

I think you have to work out want you want to achieve, and then work out how to achieve that aim.

I think you have already been back to the place to discuss it with them and they have (to put it politely) denied any responsibility. This is unfortunate, and makes life more difficult for all concerned.

If I really wanted them to pay and admit fault, I’d be taking the full legal pathway. But I suspect that it will cost a lot of time and money upfront (for engineering reports, etc.). I don’t really know how long small claims and the like take, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you are waiting a year, and even then there would be no certainty as to the outcome. You might win and still be out of pocket.

If I were in that situation, I think I’d probably just get it fixed and move on. And chalk the whole episode up to experience (and not go back to the place that fitted the calipers for any future work). I’d just want to get my car back on the road, and know that the work has been done correctly. I’d be reluctant to have the original place involved in doing the rectification work.

An ‘in between’ option might be to engage a local solicitor to write them a letter of demand (or whatever they call it) and see if they come to the party. They might say ”bring it in and we’ll fix it”. Or they might not. But if it were me, and the original place does fix it, I’d be immediately taking the car to another place for an independent inspection. Or at least I’ll be checking the caliper bolts are tight myself.

One thing that might work in your favour is if they have provided an itemised invoice and it doesn’t show new caliper bolts. Holden explicitly state (multiple times) in their service manual that the bolts must be replaced with new each time they are removed. Yes, I know many people do reuse them, but legally, the workshop isn’t doing the job right (by defying manufacturer’s instructions) if those bolts haven’t been replaced.

In summary, I do think you have a case, and I strongly suspect those bolts were loose, but pragmatically I think I’d save myself the cost, anguish, and delays and just get it fixed properly. And chalk it up to ‘live and learn’.

:)
Great advise, It is not the money, this guy could have killed me and/or others.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute

So you are implying I have been untruthful as to my level of driving aggression? What is heavily modified? bigger engine? transmission swap? Kaaz diff? brake upgrade? Again, the aspersions are laid at me and my vehicle. You failed to get that it was the top bolt that came out. If it had been the bottom bolt the caliper would have stayed in place and probably alerted me in short order as the other bolt worked looser. So no, I didn't drive it for a year with the top bolt missing. Leave me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.