Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling on the Shannons (or similar) insured V8 crew, can I have a price check please.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the prices should all jump up next year, they got to cover the cost of dubai now.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’m currently at about $1600 per year from Shannons on the SSV (premium went up by about $100 per year recently). Car has the usual mods (CAI, extractors, exhaust, tune). Insured for $25k agreed value with a squeaky clean driving record (over 40 years old).

Reactions: Lex

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
They're fine for some, but I need my insurer to pay out if I need to make a claim. :(
Would love to hear your experience/story of someone else's?
I've not heard anything bad.

Jax9476

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS-V Redline
My SSV redline with mods is insured for 65K for a max of 10,000 kms per year and a $1350 excess with any claim for $1250 per year. If i was daily driving it with a lower excess, it would be closer to $2000 per year and i haven't made any claims in over 5 years. So $2700 if you've had a couple of at fault claims on a HSV thats valued at more than my SSV sounds about right

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Would love to hear your experience/story of someone else's?
I've not heard anything bad.
Not mine personally as I'm too risk-averse, but I do know (not very well) two others that had problems getting a not-at-fault claim paid.
Sorry I can't recall the details, this was considerably pre-COVID; usually companies like that don't hang around so long, so maybe they've got past whatever the normal startup-issues they have which cause them to fold, and maybe they can afford to pay claims now? But I'm still to risk-averse ...

Having said that; if you're with Shannons, noting that I've had two good experiences with not-at-fault claims being paid, if you'd had your car repaired by the nasty Suncorp sausage-factory they quite strongly recommend then your opinion would be MUCH worse than mine (as a good friend did this & regretted it).

Segue ... as chance would have it (or the bots?), The Meerkat sent me an email inviting me to get online insurance quotes about an hour ago.
I figured ... why not?
So I went through their questionnaire for the Volvo, including a question "is it modified" to which I answered yes. They didn't have anywhere for me to add the stuff which needed engineering (main things being turbo & aftermarket ECU) but I also added a heap of the other equipment it has over stock.
Got to the end and it recommended ... Budget Direct. Who (and I've tried before) won't touch my car with a 10' pole.
Absolutely useless ... and they had a feedback form which I happily filled-out.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Segue ... as chance would have it (or the bots?), The Meerkat sent me an email inviting me to get online insurance quotes about an hour ago.
I figured ... why not?
So I went through their questionnaire for the Volvo, including a question "is it modified" to which I answered yes. They didn't have anywhere for me to add the stuff which needed engineering (main things being turbo & aftermarket ECU) but I also added a heap of the other equipment it has over stock.
Got to the end and it recommended ... Budget Direct. Who (and I've tried before) won't touch my car with a 10' pole.
Absolutely useless ... and they had a feedback form which I happily filled-out.

The meerkat (and other comparison sites) are really only there for cookie cutter, bog stock, dime a dozen cars. Fairly useless for anything out of the ordinary or modified.

Having said that Budget Direct is good for stock vehicles (they wont cover my SSV because it’s modified). I currently have my motorbike with them as it’s not modified and I had my old SV6 through them.

And before people bleat about them paying out, they did pay out when I needed them to, and they didn’t even have to do so according to the terms of the insurance.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Shannons were over twice as expensive as everybody else (mainstream insurers) for the Aston Martin limited use, agreed value, choice of repairer etc. My car is stock standard so modded case may be different

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
My SS is $2295, cover has been dropped to 40k and on extreme limited use. No claims. Clean driving history.
I want to try and get that cover number back up though.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Left Shannons last year as they went up considerably. It was as though they thought they had the market cornered and the pricing was based off their Suncorp owners usual calculators.

Ended up jumping over to Lumleys, but thats because the SV is a really limited numbers Model and they do those kinds of things.
For the SV and SS at Shannons it was going to be $5k a year.
$3k of that was just for the SV, on extreme limited, with everything listed and about $60k value (it actually dropped when they sent the renewal)
Lumleys ended up being $3k for both together (only 1 on the road at a time, not both out together), higher values.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ended up jumping over to Lumleys, but thats because the SV is a really limited numbers Model and they do those kinds of things.
Now that’s interesting … I didn’t know they still existed, might need to research that!