Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling on the Shannons (or similar) insured V8 crew, can I have a price check please.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
VE SSV Z

Insured with RAC for $28k at a cost of $750 with full NCB and 10% discount for RAC membership.

That was at renewal last September.

Premium for the previous year was $690 for $29k cover.

When I first insured it in 2017 it cost $571 for cover of $27k.
whats your excess cost?

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
When Coles bodgie panel shop ruins your car with a substandard repair, you'll wish you spent more on a premium with a decent insurer who allows choice of repairer.

Anyone interested in SA, the standout insurers with choice of repairer policies and easiest for good panel shops to get quality repair approval, is Allianz and RAA and they're surprisingly not the most expensive premiums. The worst quality repairs I've seen in SA on nice cars, came from AAMI repair shops!
in Sa had a hail claim with our ranger with shannons no issues with the crash shop we used, lad borrowed ranger and ran up some ones arse not much damage bullbar scratched one spot light broken but the same crash shop not a self assessed shannons anymore so not a auto repair waiting for ok. still not booked in for repairs yet(2 months)

Note we pay near $500 a month for over 10 cars(7 SS's VF,Ve Vz. Vy,Vx,VT and VTSS super 6 most on laid up or extreme usage) lads car, 2 rangers and misses infinity) and not getting great service atm.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
in Sa had a hail claim with our ranger with shannons no issues with the crash shop we used, lad borrowed ranger and ran up some ones arse not much damage bullbar scratched one spot light broken but the same crash shop not a self assessed shannons anymore so not a auto repair waiting for ok. still not booked in for repairs yet(2 months)

Note we pay near $500 a month for over 10 cars(7 SS's VF,Ve Vz. Vy,Vx,VT and VTSS super 6 most on laid up or extreme usage) lads car, 2 rangers and misses infinity) and not getting great service atm.
I think RAA is hard to beat in SA. Most of the good panel shops are RAA approved repairers with approvals processed by the repairer emailing a quote and photos of the damage to RAA. Delays are generally when the repairer can do the job particularly if the car is still drivable.

I've had quotes from Shannon's, but they were always more expensive and didn't offer anything better than RAA.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
in Sa had a hail claim with our ranger with shannons no issues with the crash shop we used
To be totally fair though, Ranger = Lobotomy, and a Ranger operator is likely to see a queue at a bus-stop and drive into it at high speed …

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I had insurance issues for about 10 years after I got caught drag racing at 18 doing 161 kmph in an 80 zone. High risk rejection timed out eventually!
Ah, them were the days :cool: where being “youthful” still wasn’t an excuse but punishment wasn’t crazy severe and post insurance issues were the biggest PITA.…

A few decades earlier than your youthfulness, I got a small fine and had to walk for 3 months for doing about the same excess speed… and back then insurance uplift for such issues wasn’t so bad and didn’t last so long (before it got back to the normal levels of insurance premium that the average vehicle owner had to deal with) :rolleyes:

These days you’ve got to contend with hoon legislation and the potential for having your car crushed and/or a judge seriously considering jail time… and that may be no top of the standard NSW fine of $2350 and loss of 6 points for doing more than 45km/h over the limit :eek: Hate to think of how much and how long insurance companies would bend you over post such hooning offences these days :eek:

About the only thing that seems more relaxed these days is that licence suspension is more common whereas in my youth license cancelation was the go to punishment :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Bloody hell they make it hard … I had a free 45 minutes before I had to go out & pick my wife up, so I tried calling Lumley’s to get a quote … 35 minutes on hold later, I knew it would take over 10 minutes to give enough info to get a quote so I gave up. So 45 minutes isn’t long enough to get a quote. This is why online quoting is such a Thing!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Used to spend about 10mins waiting for NRMA to pick up. I no longer have a vehicle policy with them though as they won't agree to much more than what Redbook says. I still have a home and contents with them. Shannons take a while to pick up, but they insured my 08 ute for $28k with a $400 excess and no trying to knock me down.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Ah, them were the days :cool: where being “youthful” still wasn’t an excuse but punishment wasn’t crazy severe and post insurance issues were the biggest PITA.…

A few decades earlier than your youthfulness, I got a small fine and had to walk for 3 months for doing about the same excess speed… and back then insurance uplift for such issues wasn’t so bad and didn’t last so long (before it got back to the normal levels of insurance premium that the average vehicle owner had to deal with) :rolleyes:

These days you’ve got to contend with hoon legislation and the potential for having your car crushed and/or a judge seriously considering jail time… and that may be no top of the standard NSW fine of $2350 and loss of 6 points for doing more than 45km/h over the limit :eek: Hate to think of how much and how long insurance companies would bend you over post such hooning offences these days :eek:

About the only thing that seems more relaxed these days is that licence suspension is more common whereas in my youth license cancelation was the go to punishment :p
In maturity, I probably would've ended the race before it reached speeds for a dangerous driving charge given that my HQ Monaro with a cammed 308 was getting smoked by a Chrysler Centura with a modified 265 Hemi. The bloke in the Centura gave the cops a run, spun out and crashed into someone's fence and lost his licence for 2 years. I stopped and a got a $150 fine and loss of licence for 6 months.

The insurance issue lasted until enough time had lapsed not to declare the dangerous driving conviction on the application. Until then, my cars were registered and insured in my father's name with strict instruction not to get caught doing something stupid again. Not wanting to screw my father over and mess his insurance up had the greatest influence to avoid doing anything too stupid.

Today with hoon laws, dash cams and CCTV everywhere, you've got to be careful with any type of spirited driving, as it doesn't take much to cross the hoon boundary or even a borderline case, the cops alleging you were hooning.

02Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Series 1 V2 Monaro
2002 Series 1 CV8, 160k kms, Insured with Shannons for $55k.
Premium is about $1k/year for under 5000kms/year use.
Entire driveline has been fully rebuilt which is why I have the value so high.
Body and interior very good but original condition.