Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] Cam Upgrade

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Rebuilding my LSA engine for my VE 2011 Maloo. Its getting to final decision time. Looking at a mild upgrade as I’m a tradie and it’s my day drive and I don’t need to attract more attention from the law. My engine builder is suggesting camshaft upgrade to a LSA 114-219/224 (mild). Beehive springs. Oversized pistons 1mm due to the hone. Then it’s going down the road for a OTR Cold Air intake also 4 into 1 headers and high flow cats into the existing 2 1/2 inch existing exhaust The forums says go a MAF tune being a VE. Total cost is a little over 15k. This forum has been great for advise in the passed with so much knowledge accumulated here. The term ‘nose over’ can someone explain? Thoughts on upgrading 1) injectors 2) throttle body 3) under drive balancer?
Has anyone here installed a cam with similar figures (LSA 114-219/224) Any input appreciated.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Nose over- the area where it stops making more power and flattens out.
Ie - this engine combo starts to nose over at 5800rpm.

Is that what you were asking?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
PD blowers like more exhaust in a camshaft, even the stock LS9 has 230deg exhaust which should be a minimum otherwise ur choking it especially if ur going to the length of a rebuild, also u should up the compression to suit the camshaft as well, dont worry about underdrive balancer only n/a gains a hp or two from it so no point, injectors will need doing if ur close to the edge u will have to see what duty they are at, dont worry about TB stock is fine if its a daylie only if ur shooting for max effort every last hp is it worth the change

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Nose over- the area where it stops making more power and flattens out.
Ie - this engine combo starts to nose over at 5800rpm.

Is that what you were asking?
Yes it was. Thank you.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the intake isnt too bad for a street blower its just the exhaust will be the limiting factor, id say around the 6-6200rpm it may stop making hp, torque will have peaked well before then maby in the 3-4k range

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does the OP need to make power past 6k on a DD? My NA comes alive from about 3500 up to 5500 and that's more than enough to get me pinched in third gear, hahahaha. Having the PD would add a fair bit of fun from a stop or rolling start. Shame not to have a Magna Flow or something else though.....

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
PD blowers like more exhaust in a camshaft, even the stock LS9 has 230deg exhaust which should be a minimum otherwise ur choking it especially if ur going to the length of a rebuild, also u should up the compression to suit the camshaft as well, dont worry about underdrive balancer only n/a gains a hp or two from it so no point, injectors will need doing if ur close to the edge u will have to see what duty they are at, dont worry about TB stock is fine if its a daylie only if ur shooting for max effort every last hp is it worth the change
I tried to update myself on a blower cam. Couldn’t really find a specific explanation. It’s not a cam required with a supercharger, is it.

This is all I found ..blower cams are usually more radical but whith the blower it seems to calm the idle down a bit allowing you to turn a more aggressive cam on the street.

Just re reading your thread. Bit to take in there. 230 exhaust. Ok, got it thank you. Forget the other stuff.
So your saying I should run LSA 114 224/230 or something like that?

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
the intake isnt too bad for a street blower its just the exhaust will be the limiting factor, id say around the 6-6200rpm it may stop making hp, torque will have peaked well before then maby in the 3-4k range
It really can get confusing at this stage. Interesting. Thank you.

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Does the OP need to make power past 6k on a DD? My NA comes alive from about 3500 up to 5500 and that's more than enough to get me pinched in third gear, hahahaha. Having the PD would add a fair bit of fun from a stop or rolling start. Shame not to have a Magna Flow or something else though.....
I’m new to this LSA rebuild so I’m flying blind. OP means what? Is that a PD blower cam? I don’t really think I need to make more power at 6k. I wanted to go small not to lose the torque down low. Magna flow, just googling it now.