Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can you fit parts built for the US Motors to the AUS Motor?

202GodsMotor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
The title says it all, could you fit let's say an aftermarket cam or lifters or whatever that is built for the "3800 V6" in the states to the Australian motor?

48-215

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajerodore
they are a yankee motor

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I didn't find much I could use on my old VR V6. Plus by the time exchange, and freight was added it was cheaper to get parts locally.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The engine was heavily modified for Australian setups.

You might find the internals of the engine the same but I think pretty much everything on the outside of the engine will be different.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Parts would probably be interchangeable for the early V6 Commodores like the VN/VP but I doubt anything would fit if your looking at the VX your profile says you’ve got.

As the first V6s in the VN were a rush job the series one VNs basically had the bare minimum amount of modifications required to make them work in a rear wheel drive application. They even had tubular steel exhaust headers and tubular steel water pipes snaking around the engine to convert it from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive setup.

As time went on Holden made many modifications to the original Buick 3800 engine and by the time of the VX it probably had little in common with its US counterpart.