Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Canon EOS 500D DSLR

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
Anyone had one of these? know what there like? im looking pretty serious at buying one.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
I have a 400d eos dslr, Best camera I've ever owned. took a while to learn all about how to use it correctly. but I have had some truly amazing shots with it.

get a 20-300mm lens. don't get the dual lens pack 17-50 & 70-320 (is a pain swapping lenses)

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
cheers mate, i was tossing up between nikon D90 and the 500D, i went with the canon. ive only had it 2 days so im still learning ( coming from olympus and switching over) i ended up with the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. but im looking at other lenses. maybe when my bank account recovers in a few weeks i'll look a bit deeper lol. im spendin this week collecting little bits and pieces for it ( lens filters, second battery or battery grip - not sure yet, external flash, remote etc, etc......)

Hubcap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VT Executive
Anyone had one of these? know what there like? im looking pretty serious at buying one.

A mate has one (exactly the same model) and people are amazed at the quality of the photos. He posts them on his facebook site and is obviously into the photography scene. I think he also has a telephoto lens as well. He told me that it wasn't considered as an 'upmarket' model, but having seen his photos - you would certainly think so.

Phil

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
get a 20-300mm lens. don't get the dual lens pack 17-50 & 70-320 (is a pain swapping lenses)

Perhaps that's a reasonable suggestion for someone who doesn't mind lowering overall quality for the sake of convenience, but surely if you wanted convenience you would buy a point and shoot, not a DSLR? Expecting any lens to be great quality over a focal length range of 270mm is unrealistic. Although, for a beginners lens they can be ok.

A mate has one (exactly the same model) and people are amazed at the quality of the photos. He posts them on his facebook site and is obviously into the photography scene. I think he also has a telephoto lens as well. He told me that it wasn't considered as an 'upmarket' model, but having seen his photos - you would certainly think so.

Phil

Any DSLR can produce fantastic shots if you know how to use it ;) Sounds like your friend certainly does.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
The Canon 18-55mm is a surprisingly good lens given it's their entry level zoom lens. The autofocus and construction is nothing to write home about, but the image quality is very good.

You've already made the purchase so it's a bit of a moot point, but most DSLRs are pretty good, you'll struggle to get a "bad" one. It's a pretty competitive market, so for a given price range the various brands (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc) will all be "good". Best thing is to pick up and play with the cameras you're considering, they all have little idiosyncrasies in the way they operate which you may love or hate. I recently purchased a 50D, after spending a fair bit of time playing around with Canon's. I'd also spent a lot of time playing with a Nikon D80 at work, and decided to go with the Canon because I found it more pleasant to use than the Nikon. Either would have been a fine choice, and both can take great pictures.

Choosing between the brands really is like asking if a Ford or a Holden is better - it's mostly personal preference.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Perhaps that's a reasonable suggestion for someone who doesn't mind lowering overall quality for the sake of convenience, but surely if you wanted convenience you would buy a point and shoot, not a DSLR? Expecting any lens to be great quality over a focal length range of 270mm is unrealistic. Although, for a beginners lens they can be ok.

Hmm, 28-300 performs very well as does the Bigma 50-500. Companies are developing low to high lenses every year and each release they get even better.
I just look forward to the day we can buy a 16-800 1.2 lens :p

Choosing between the brands really is like asking if a Ford or a Holden is better - it's mostly personal preference.

Hmm, mostly personal preference? I have to disagree, it all depends on what your shooting. Theres a reason majority of sporting togs use canon and why the majority of wedding/portrait togs use nikon/medium formats. Honestly, if I could afford to change this year, I would be on to nikon in a flash, sadly, it is just not feasible to do until next year.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.

when you find one let me know!!!!! that would be awesome!!!!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

When the laws of physics change :p

Hmm, mostly personal preference? I have to disagree, it all depends on what your shooting. Theres a reason majority of sporting togs use canon and why the majority of wedding/portrait togs use nikon/medium formats. Honestly, if I could afford to change this year, I would be on to nikon in a flash, sadly, it is just not feasible to do until next year.

Perhaps I should have qualified that by saying "for hobbyists/prosumers".

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
cheers mate, i was tossing up between nikon D90 and the 500D, i went with the canon. ive only had it 2 days so im still learning ( coming from olympus and switching over) i ended up with the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. but im looking at other lenses. maybe when my bank account recovers in a few weeks i'll look a bit deeper lol. im spendin this week collecting little bits and pieces for it ( lens filters, second battery or battery grip - not sure yet, external flash, remote etc, etc......)

Picked up a 500D just before Christmas, and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Lightweight (compared to the 630 it's replacing) and user friendly.

The 18-55mm lens is average. I'm glad I only went for the single lens kit (was only an extra $40 over the body). It's as sharp as my 20 y/o 28-70mm that has been dropped and repaired countless times, but not quite as sharp as the 80-200mm.

The problem when using the 80-200mm is the autofocus takes a bit to lock, sometimes I need to manually focus first then the autofocus will lock quickly.

Next on the list for me is a 24-105mm followed by a 100mm macro with ring flash. Oh and a new tripod, as mine seems to have grown legs (excuse the pun) and walked...