Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car fine one minute, then won't start

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Basically, car had been running fine for ages, then today I went to the shops in the morning, it started fine in morning at home, fine at shops. Then on way home I went to drop something off 5 mins down the road and when I went to start my car it cranked then tried to fire into life and then backfired then died. Tried again and was just coughing and spluttering and backfiring/popping.

I have checked for spark, fuel (have 45psi on reds and walbro 255 pump drawing 7 amps as per specs), leads are all intact and fine (only a few months old), injectors are pulsing etc. I plugged in my laptop and couldnt see any CEL's or anything out of the ordinary whilst on my reds.

I got the NRMA to come out and try diagnose, he had no luck. The only weird thing is that when he plugged his scan tool in, it threw 4 CEL's all of which are for automatic transmission, and when he cleared, they came back again. Could this be an ecu issue???

I know people are going to say CAS, but this one is brand new genuine one only put it 2 months ago and is clean and has been totally fine.

I am actually completely stumped and hopefully someone can shed some light.

P.S. this is not a standard vr commodore, it's a custom turbo vr t5 manual, stock ecu with bosch 660cc injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump and 2 bar map sensor etc.

should also add, on sunday when driving as i was boosting a little bit it had one single, totally random misfire and also I have smelt a very feint smell last few days which i have never smely before, nothing really potent or alarming though.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Ok so just an update.

Clearly wasnt thinking straight yesterday because only thing i didnt think to test was another dfi module.

So this morning thats what i did and bang! Fired up first time like normal.

Hopefully this can help someone in the future