Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car of the Future plan sucks.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I've been mulling over the future plans for the v8 SC and I think the Silhoutte idea will turn people away in droves.

So A workmate and I came up with this set of parameters.

Make the engines relevant to many more people
- 6 cylinder series.
Make Engine technology relevant and encourage engine innovation
- Allow forced induction, at a penalty of reducing allowable capacity
- Allow any configuration of 6 cylinder
- No Alternatives to 6 cylinder (Much as I like rotaries, it would be too hard to add)
- Limit the type of fuel used
- Limit the air induction to the engine by using a set size restrictor for all engines
- no limits on engine modifications other than factory configuration and factory crankshaft
Make chassis and chassis innovation relevant.
- allow FWD RWD and 4WD, no 4W steering.
- Minimum Weight for all chassis, not including driver.
- Weight penalties for RWD and 4WD, such that FWD Weight > RWD > 4WD
Don't stifle innovation. No caps on dollars spent.
Don't expect 100% parity. Allow innovation to filter through to everyday users. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday philosophy reflects manufacture involvement in the end user market.
- No limits on Gearbox ratios or qty, diff ratios.
- Brake systems to reflect technology on the production car IE - No carbon Fibre / ceramic discs on a Ford Falcon.
Introduce a new equalizing factor (to a certain extent) - Fuel Efficiency.
- Limit the fuel available for consumption in any given race. This is not to make it a fuel efficiency competition, but simply though you cant sacrifice fuel economy for extra performance. Make manufacturers look for efficiency gains for more than just performance reasons.
Tyres to be limited by the weight of the vehicle, such that a set total width of tyre can be used. For example - 20" total width of tyre per side to be used on the vehicle. A RWD vehicle may choose to run 10" front and 10"rear. a FWD vehicle may choose to run 12" front and 8" rear.
- Open choice of tyre manufacturer.
- no limits on tyre changes.
- minimum 1 tyre change per race.

This is a far as I've got. Comments and questions appreciated.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
All makes good sense.
I just think 8cylinders would attract more attention.
I personally think your guide should be applied to an improved production series. Much like group C.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Making the cars/engines/etc "more relevant to people is beside the point. The point is for most people, motorsport is boring and pointless. You can't change that, it's fact. The problem is keeping motorsport interesting for the fans, which V8 Supercars is hopeless at doing. It's one of the most boring categories around. The cars are practically the same and the second any team innovates a new idea, it's either not allowed or has to be homologated into the entire series. Make the supposed number 1 category of motorsport in Australia more interesting, and more fans will come out of the woodwork.

Controversy, intrigue, development, secrecy, guessing games, etc... Why the hell is Formula 1 so popular? Because it has all those things.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I agree with CSP on most of the above. I stopped watching when they went to a control tyre as I felt it was becoming too much like Nascar. Bring back Group A I say!

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
the other problem with the V8 Supercars is that they are nothing like Falcons and Commodores, the only parts that have the same shape are the front doors, bonnet and front and rear lights, the only pieces that are still original are the lights, the rest of it is all carbon fiber and light weight stuff, bring back drive to race friday, race sat/sun, sell on monday like the old days. just strip out an SS or XR8, do some brake mods, engine mods if you want, but make it more fun, none of this NASCAR crap!

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
its all the same to reflect each drivers skill. if you were an awesome driver but could not afford to make your car better than the other guy who is a **** driver.. wouldnt you hate life ? he is taking glory because he has money and you worked your arse off for years for this.
(yeah i know big sponsers and endless cash but it isnt the point i was trying to make)
if this is done there will be too many variables on the outcome of a race and it would provide a constant winner and people wouldnt want to watch it because there is no point
something that reminds me the most of this is the bathurst 24/12 hour they have like 8 different classes and its always a good watch

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
bring back mainstream production racing. Buy it on friday, race it on sunday, sell it on monday. If i want glamour racing I will watch F1. Watching real cars race and seeing obvious advantages and disadvantages of each car at different tracks is what is fun.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i watch wrc over anything else these days. its good to see the cars moving around.