Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carbon Canister

MrNutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX wagon
Get a locking fuel tank cap and see if that helps. :lock: Seriously.

I've already got a locking fuel cap & the car is kept in a locked & alarmed garage at night. Nobody has access to the garage except for me. My kids are not silly enough to take the car for a drive & even if they were they couldn't get it out of the garage & up the very steep driveway without me hearing it. The car is fitted with an alarm & 2 fuel shut off keys (both very well hidden) & I use both of the shut off keys every time I leave the vehicle for more than 5 mins.

I'll check the fuel pressure regulator & brake booster tonight after I get home.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i'd be checking sensors, possibly running rich, mat and ecu water temp sensor are usually the main culprits possibly o2......

brokenenglish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 50th anniversary ute
Hi MrNutter,

Did you solve this problem in the end? Yours is a perfectly accurate description of what I'm experiencing with my VS ute 50th Anniversary edition. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

1/2 tank of fuel for about 60km travel, city driving but I don't flog my car. I was getting 500km out of a tank 6 months ago. It's been steadily getting worse since then. If I park the car & it has half a tank in it at night, the next morning the gauge will read about 1/8th of a tank lower than when I parked it. The guage rises under braking & lowers under acceleration but reads accurate when parked or steady driving so I think the sender unit is buggered but that's a seperate issue. There is no sign of fuel anywhere under the car or in the engine bay. I've had the car up on a hoist at work numerous times looking for leaks or dried up signs of leaks but there's nothing. The tank has been pulled out & checked, all rubber fuel & vaccuum hoses replaced one at a time so there's no mix ups, metal lines inspected, injectors inspected & cleaned, O2 sensor replaced, fuel filter replaced, spark plugs replaced & gapped & the ECU reset. There's no smell of fuel in the oil, air filter or exhaust. It gives a little puff of smoke when you first start it but that's gone immediately & it doesn't blow smoke at all other than that, even when I do give it the boot. The only thing I can think of is the cabon canister because if it were to get fuel in it it would empty out straight onto the road without hitting any part of the car. There is no sign of fuel going to it though when the car is parked, running & revved. I'm fussy about my maintenance & everything is done when it's supposed to be. This thing has me stumped.

Vp4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 93 wagon
Is the car hard to start after sitting overnight?
If so it's the fuel pressure regulator leaking into the manifold. It can leak a lot of fuel over a few hours as the pressure drops off.
Run the engine to get the pressure up then switch off & disconnect the small vacuum hose on the regulator. It should have no fuel in it as it is the vacuum hose. If there is fuel the diaphragm perished.
The reg is on the drivers side rear of the fuel rail on v6's. $20 part