Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Castrol Edge engine oil. My local Holden dealer will not allow me to use Castrol Edge oil in my MY18 2018 Holden Calais V AWD they say causes soot.

traindriver 42105

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Holden Calais V 6cyl
My local Holden dealer will not allow me to use Castrol Edge 5W/30 engine oil as they say it causes "Soot". Any comments on this one please.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Go somewhere that will put it in for you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it a GM approved oil? If not use something that is, so you don't risk warranty. Plenty of approved oils out there that are as good or better than Castrol Edge.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you tell them listening to BS gives you sore ears?
Unless it's burning oil faster than a loose VS where would the soot come from?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Different dealers have contracts with different oil companies.

I know a Holden and Hyundai dealer that contractually uses Fuchs yet Hyundai have Castrol as a brand affiliate.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Different dealers have contracts with different oil companies.

I know a Holden and Hyundai dealer that contractually uses Fuchs yet Hyundai have Castrol as a brand affiliate.
depends on the franchise dealer, one holden dealer i used had shell oils other had castrol, never seen a holden dealer use ac delco oils.

I've always found castrol oils get dirty quick as they seem to clean the engines good, sold our 09 Ve Berlina v6 dual fuel with 250k on it serviced every 7500kms with castrol edge 5w30 and was running great(timing chains etc never touched)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've always found castrol oils get dirty quick as they seem to clean the engines good,
This!

If the oil is going black quicker it just means it's doing a good job of catching the soot and keeping it suspended in the oil rather than letting it form deposits around the engine. This is the reason why changing oil on colour alone is not a good idea.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I've always found castrol oils get dirty quick as they seem to clean the engines good, sold our 09 Ve Berlina v6 dual fuel with 250k on it serviced every 7500kms with castrol edge 5w30 and was running great(timing chains etc never touched)
The critical point for your vehicle was the LPG, not the oil. LPG burns a lot cleaner than petrol and thus produces a lot less soot. I do my oil changes every 10,000kms and the oil isn’t even dark brown on the dipstick yet at that mileage. I use Penrite HPR5 5w40.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Is the Castrol Edge 5W-30 a Dexos1 approved oil ?