Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the Engine in a 93 holden vp v6

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me out , i have a 1993 vp v6 buick 3.8lt and i want to change the engine to some thing more powerful but still v6.. is there a website to buy engines that will fit straight in? can i put a vs supercharged engine in or something like that?

CYCo-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
you can run a ecotec super6 it will drop striaght in but you will have to mod the loom to suit your vp instrument cluster and other few bits a mate of mine did this in his vp but just a na ecotec motor with a t5 behind it

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
first of all what kind of money you planning to spend on an engine package.... if you trying for pro stock power on like 2 grand or something, its not gonna to happen...

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
thanks for the info, i found some sc14 superchargers n turbo kits for a v6 if i keep my engine but i still got no idea on prices im looking at n brands

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
would it be cheaper to put a ecotech supercharged engine in or look for some crs or turbo kits?

Jake.VScommo

Yeaa... About that... Umm
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
Buik v6's hate turbos honestly, i know from experience. Best bet chuck an ecotec in it and a raptor s/c kit then 230kw/atw is available with a bit of boost a nice exhaust and a tune :)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Buik v6's hate turbos honestly, i know from experience. Best bet chuck an ecotec in it and a raptor s/c kit then 230kw/atw is available with a bit of boost a nice exhaust and a tune :)

I know many a buick v6 that' are turbo'd with 200+ rwkw for under 3k, Reliable dailies.

The life of the motor mostly comes down to the quality of your Tuner.

Cheers
Mat

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore

considering the buick has a lower compression ratio and before holden was using them they were released as a factory option as turbo in the US.

i'd sooner turbo a buick with 8.5:1 compression ratio than a 9.4:1 ecotec and the first s/c v6's were buicks 3800's with some stronger internals.

Jake.VScommo

Yeaa... About that... Umm
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
Thats fair enuf guys but im just thinking for more reliability, a turboed buick with stock internals will go good, but wouldnt handle much boost as i had a vr running 8psi and did the bottom end. An ecotec with a s/c and a tune would be much more reliable and the motor will have alot more of a life span with stock internals. Yes it may cost a few grand extra but saving the cost of rebuilding the internals of a buick to give reliability with a turbo, its reali just your own choice and preference.. I think a nice ls1 v8 is all someone needs :p

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
all sounds good as but i think ill go with the sc14 supercharger or turbo because i have to change the fuel stuff anyway, does anybody know of turbo or supercharger names to suit vp v6 ?