Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the exhaust Y piece on a S1 VN

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Hi all,

I am about to embark on changing the Y piece on my S1 VN. By Y piece I mean the bit after the headers and before the cat converter.

My question is how much of a pain is this to change? Can I do it whilst the car is on the ground or is it better on the stands? I am also concerned about the drivers side piece which seems to extend into the guts of the steering, is this a problem?

I await your horror stories.

Mike

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
lol, im actually trying to find out how much it will cost me to have a Y peice made up for a set of headers i purchased for my VN V6, last quote was $200 :eek:

I dont think changing the Y peice over would be an easy task, especialy with where it is located.

But i havent had to replace the Y peice before so i dont know how difficult or easy it actually is....

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
*bump*

anyone done this?

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
The closest I've come to doing it was having to put a new cat in.

Before you try to unbolt the cat give the bolts a really good soaking in WD40, RP7 or penetrine. Just to ease them up a bit, otherwise it's really easy to shear one of the heads off the bolts.

Also, the higher the car is the better. I did my cat with nothing more than the standard jack and a couple of chasis stands. If you've got access to a hoist, use it, wheel ramps would be okay too. The more room you can give yourself under there the better.

The exhaust clamps that hold the y-pipe in place are normally fairly well rusted and cooked. You could either stuff around and try to get them undone properly, or buy yourself a new set and just take to the others with an angle grinder.

Let us know how you go with it, especially the drivers side.

cracker

Reaction score
its a piece of piss.
put it on ramps
un bolt it from cat
unbolt in front left hand side manifold
unbolt from right hand side
dont let it all on ur head that could hurt.
u will need i think 10mm socket with a long extetion bar for the manifold bolts should take 30 mins to take it off and put a new one in

cracker

Reaction score
ooo and u need to put a jack under the transmission bell houseing to give it clearance on the drivers side

warney

did you say bukakki party
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL skid car what else are they built to do
vinnywelsh said:
lol, im actually trying to find out how much it will cost me to have a Y peice made up for a set of headers i purchased for my VN V6, last quote was $200 :eek:

I dont think changing the Y peice over would be an easy task, especialy with where it is located.

But i havent had to replace the Y peice before so i dont know how difficult or easy it actually is....

um the y peice should be like $60 bucks flat out...these exhaust shops are bloody theives!!!!