Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chasing 400rwhp 355 or 383 stroker

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Agree top mount whipple would be best option to go with on 355 or 304 also it would give the best drivability & performance compromise but I'd still go with a vortech when need rego or get defected lol.

Think my 355 cracked 320rwhp or tad higher with previous owner,9 incn-big stally & tyres...had numerous issues so was probably up around 360rwhp maybe 380 max on a lucky dyno but popped rear main before I got it fully sorted...had all the gear in it to crack a 10 but would say low 11's more likely.

It was borderline drivable for a weekender/cruiser & maintenance side of side of things would have been a real pain if engine was any wilder although would have liked more compression in it for the f280.

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
COME 600 heads.
Big valves, big ports, big HP heads.
Plus alloy so handle high compression better, and will take more timing.
Then 383 it with that 11 comp in mind and you should be about right (I don't know alot about your intake manifold sorry).
What size extractors and exhaust on it?
Assume 4l60e?

Yeah boost is an option, but the crank alone (for boosted motor) will run you the same as the stroker.

Good luck my friend, watching with interest.
Cheers mate for the input, yeah absolutely if a second hand set of come racing heads pops up I will definitely consider it, kinda kicking my self because a set of 590s were up for sale recently for $2500 and at the time I thought nah I don't need them and I will LL keep working my VN heads, I also had just spent $4500 to rebuild the th700r4 as it had been completely destroyed on the dyno apparently good for 500rwhp now, gearbox bloke is pretty reputable I've known a couple of he's boxes to still be performing well even after 5 year + of abuse and nitrous, he's flatout you have to book in a month ahead because he has boxes been sent to him from all over Australia.

I think for now I will put some $ into my VN heads and install this h304 cam I have, the exhaust system is the bigger pacemakers into 3 inch Y pipe into 3 inch single system, it sounds good at idle and cruise but when you feed it horrible like a giant thong slapper, also the car is going in for a twin system soon either 3 inch or 2.5 not sure yet.

Car is a ex cop car vs wagon looks stock as a rock but slightly lowered, even still running the roof racks.

I will try get back to some more comments this afternoon as I have been flatout with work.

Cheers.

Attachments

• received_463355879056418.jpeg
    received_463355879056418.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 125

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Cheers mate for the input, yeah absolutely if a second hand set of come racing heads pops up I will definitely consider it, kinda kicking my self because a set of 590s were up for sale recently for $2500 and at the time I thought nah I don't need them and I will LL keep working my VN heads, I also had just spent $4500 to rebuild the th700r4 as it had been completely destroyed on the dyno apparently good for 500rwhp now, gearbox bloke is pretty reputable I've known a couple of he's boxes to still be performing well even after 5 year + of abuse and nitrous, he's flatout you have to book in a month ahead because he has boxes been sent to him from all over Australia.

I think for now I will put some $ into my VN heads and install this h304 cam I have, the exhaust system is the bigger pacemakers into 3 inch Y pipe into 3 inch single system, it sounds good at idle and cruise but when you feed it horrible like a giant thong slapper, also the car is going in for a twin system soon either 3 inch or 2.5 not sure yet.

Car is a ex cop car vs wagon looks stock as a rock but slightly lowered, even still running the roof racks.

I will try get back to some more comments this afternoon as I have been flatout with work.

Cheers.
How many rwhp you at currently?
Maybe cam/heads/exhaust and clean up the tune. Don't worry so much about rwhp, just seat of your pants feel.
Those headers will be good (same as what I have), don't get any form of y-pipe. Keep it more like a V equal length shape.