Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Powertrain Warning light

Crouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ adventra
A warning on the alert bar reading Check Powertrain came on about a K from home. I stopped to have a look but nothing obvious was wrong.
I have no idea what to check apart from engine fluids and seeing whether there are any leaks etc.
I've had a look at the obvious stuff but there's nothing in the handbook to give any direction.

Can anyone suggest any other actions I could take before I take it to my mechanic?

MY18VF2SV6TTAN1C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Commodore SV6 3.6L
Only way to find out for defininite is plug a diagnostic tool in. You could end up checking and replacing an endless number of things only to find out that it was none of them.

My check engine light has been on for months now. No change at all in any way the car is running

Crouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ adventra
I figured it would need to be read by a diagnostic tool. I guess the writing's on the wall, without the electronic guide I might as well start with the wheels and work up replacing everything as I go!! It'll probably be cheaper to go and see a pro. It could be something simple like a sensor.
Thanks for your input. Very sensible.

H

harrop.senator

Usually electronic. You'll spend way to much blind replacing i think theirs 40 faults that comes up with that warning all the way from a bad spark plug, coil packs , injector to stretched timing chains. Even supercheap auto can scan diagnose now or most shops will for a beer.

Crouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ adventra
Thanks harrop.senator. I'm delving into scanning at the moment.

JoshJGC93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
I have the same 'check powertrain' light harrassing me now....

Drove the car through some puddles/bumps on the way to the beach, woke up the next morning to find the engine/ exhaust shaking pretty bad when started (in idle, gets worse in D or R - a loud clapping noise). The car also has had a coolant leak for a bit now, which i simply added a leak-stop too just to give me time to use it before i took it into the shop.

is it possible that the leak has corroded specific parts of the engine? and is this just a knocked out sensor?
thoughts?

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
The importance of running a diagnostic scan tool for any diagnostic warning light cannot be overstated.

Crouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ adventra
I had the local RAA mechanic in to scan the vehicle. He used a simple hand-held scanner. What he tracked was an incorrect reading on the Exhaust gas analysis. It could possibly be a faulty oxygen sensor. He recommends getting my mechanic to put it on a wide spectrum scanner to give a more accurate diagnosis of what's wrong. He commented that he thought it would be safe to drive it to the next town where my mechanic operates, 100k away. One of the benefits of living in the sticks.........nothing's close and easy, but at least we don't see many traffic lights!!

Wend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
The 'Check PowerTrain' drama happened to me this arvo too so I'm just curious as to what your final diagnosis was & was it very expensive to fix. I've got an '07 VZ Ute. Just moved to Melbourne a few months ago so I'm now desperately trying to find a new (trustworthy) Mechanic...

Augustine Kopa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 holden Commodore Executive station wagon
Ah the same thing with my Commodore will get this checked out on a diagnostic tool with my local mechanic next week. Hope to get this sorted soon miss my baby