Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chev badges on Holdens

What do you think about Chev badges on a Holden?

• Silly

Votes: 316 84.5%
  • Cool

Votes: 34 9.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 24 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Truth is your mates dad REALLY doesn't know what he is talking about.

The 5L V8 that was used in holdens from 1969 till 2000 was designed and built by Holden. It was only ever used in Holdens (and HSV) so definately not a Chev engine. GM engine at most, but it was designed and built entirely by Holden from what I recall unlike the LS engines which where designed by GM for F-Body vehicles.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Thanks guys, yeh I would be interested in a thread about the Holden V8. I did try search for my answer but finding the right Key words is difficult., But Im positive I read on here that it was in fact Holden. but that was ages ago.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

The 5L V8 that was used in holdens from 1969 till 2000 was designed and built by Holden. It was only ever used in Holdens (and HSV) so definately not a Chev engine. GM engine at most, but it was designed and built entirely by Holden from what I recall unlike the LS engines which where designed by GM for F-Body vehicles.

Other than GM being the parent company it's not considered GM like engines are now. Each division back then had their own engines - eg Holden, Chevrolet, Caddillac etc etc. Some shared but the different brands were largely autonomous back then.

Reaper

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, I thought that was the case.

Cheers.

Merc1

Reaction score
Just South Of The Black Stump, Near The Rabbit Pro
Members Ride
Camel 'coz The Horse 'n' Buggy Croaked

you recall right, just to add to your knowledge base, the engines were actually assembled at the GMH plant in Woodville, South Australia.
I used to work for them back in the day.

Cheers Merc

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta

^ this"

But maybe I could Giocattolo badges on my VN lol

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Holden V8 was designed to very tight parameters and was originally intended to be released in the HK, but its development, which commenced during 1964, was delayed and the old 307 was used until the Aussie motor was ready for release in the HT. I remember reading years ago that the first prototype engines were fitted to EH's. That would have been interesting when Holden didn't even offer disc brakes at the time.

The design had to meet a number of design requirements, including being intended for installation in RHD cars, it had to fit into smaller engine bays than most V8's at that time, it had to be light (hence the alloy timing case, water pump and manifold) and had to have development potential up to 350 cubes if necessary. Well, it certainly met all those criteria. To keep the cost down, the 253 and 308 shared most parts, with the 253 using 186 pistons and rings to further spread the cost. There is a book on the development of the engine around the place somewhere - a Google search will turn it up for anybody who is interested.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The Holden V8 was designed to very tight parameters and was originally intended to be released in the HK, but its development, which commenced during 1964, was delayed and the old 307 was used until the Aussie motor was ready for release in the HT. I remember reading years ago that the first prototype engines were fitted to EH's. That would have been interesting when Holden didn't even offer disc brakes at the time.

The design had to meet a number of design requirements, including being intended for installation in RHD cars, it had to fit into smaller engine bays than most V8's at that time, it had to be light (hence the alloy timing case, water pump and manifold) and had to have development potential up to 350 cubes if necessary. Well, it certainly met all those criteria. To keep the cost down, the 253 and 308 shared most parts, with the 253 using 186 pistons and rings to further spread the cost. There is a book on the development of the engine around the place somewhere - a Google search will turn it up for anybody who is interested.

If i recall, the HR was actually setup and intended to be Holden V8 powered. There used to be a guy on the show scene years ago with an HR ute, he had blueprints for V8 powered HR's. I can't really remember much about them, but i'm pretty sure they were Holden blueprints.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
If i recall, the HR was actually setup and intended to be Holden V8 powered. There used to be a guy on the show scene years ago with an HR ute, he had blueprints for V8 powered HR's. I can't really remember much about them, but i'm pretty sure they were Holden blueprints.

I don't think the HR was ever intended to be V8 powered. For sure they would have had v8's in them for testing but AFAIK it was always intended to be released with the HK but due to delays, wasn't actually introduced till part way thru the HT (after they used up all the Chev 307's up).

Reaper