Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Cleaning MAF Sensor and Replacing Air Filter

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Sorry to bump such an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for this advice.
I've had problems with misfiring on my VZ and a mechanic has already checked the coils and a few other things. He suggested I try this (not sure why he didn't?) but this guide was extremely helpful.

I will be sure to update this post if the situation improves.

Cheers!

Probably a good thing he dident, Some mecanic's charge over $60 just to clean the MAF.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Thanks VX sounds like I saved a bit of cash. Just wanted to update and say my car is 90% better after just cleaning the MAF. The misfiring has almost stopped, I haven't noticed it since I did it anyway, even under a serious thrashing. Looking back, the misfiring started a few months after installing a K&N but I didn't oil it myself at all. The car is quite old though, chances are it was just dust as the MAF wires itself didn't look too dirty.

Cheers

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Hay just a thought how can u spray maf cleaner on the maf when there's a rag there? Wouldnt the rag be better on the other side of maf like the throttle body side. Sorry I just dont understand that step:)

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Remove the maf completely. Undo the tube from the throttle body side of the maf and also from the air box side of the maf. Then just hold it by the outside and spray the maf cleaner into it from both sides, allow it to dry and re install it again.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
If your really game like I was ... Take the special star type bolts out and slide the sensor wire part out and spray it ..... Iv done this numerous times and you can see all the black muck just run out from it ....don't ask me why I would be so ballsy to play with fire and remove the sensor from it's casing but I do and its easier to make sure it's completely clean ...

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Remove the maf completely. Undo the tube from the throttle body side of the maf and also from the air box side of the maf. Then just hold it by the outside and spray the maf cleaner into it from both sides, allow it to dry and re install it again.
Cheers mate that's more like what I was thinking.lol as I don't really like touching stuff I don't know to much about

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
Step 1. Take off air intake guard.

Step 2. Undo bolt connecting the MAF sensor to the Air intake to the engine. Disconect MAF wires.

View attachment 93360

Step 3. Undo Air box cover, 3 screws. Put a rag in the pipe coming out of the engine to stop crap getting into the engine. Replace Air filter and clean bugs out of the bottom of the air box.

View attachment 93361

Step 4. Clean the MAF senor and connection with CRC MAF sensor Cleaner. Do not touch the MAF senosr at all other wise you will be up for a new one. It will dry in a few minutes by itself.

View attachment 93362

Step 5. Put everything back together. Make sure you have a good seal between the engine air intake pipe and the MAF sensor pipe.

After doing my sv6 i notice it to run and drive a lot smoother. Will be doing it every service from now on.

Enjoy

Dumb question I know but, getting old in the head these days but i just need to clarify, is the MAF Sensor the bit the electrical cable attaches to? If so, Is the bit the electrical cable attaches to part of the sensor or is the sensor only the bit that's inside the back tube, or inside the thing the cable attaches too?

What happens to the sensor if we touch it putting the cable back on? How does that stuff it up?

thanks for putting this up, I get about 200ks out of a tank fuel around town in Perth.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I didn't even know what a MAF sensor was until I found this and googled what it does.
Now I look to see if my VT also has a MAF and yes it seems it does, all the way back to VS. Begs the question, why is the title of thread prefixed with [VZ], shouldn't admin remove this?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I didn't even know what a MAF sensor was until I found this and googled what it does.
Now I look to see if my VT also has a MAF and yes it seems it does, all the way back to VS. Begs the question, why is the title of thread prefixed with [VZ], shouldn't admin remove this?

This thread was posted in the "How To" section of the forum, so it's pretty self explanatory.
The thread was prefixed VZ because it was a specific "How To" for cleaning the MAF and replacing the air filter in a VZ.

If I started a thread "VZ LS1 Running Rough & Back Firing", should the moderators remove the VZ prefix in the thread title because of the fact that the VT, VX and VY commodores also came from the factory fitted with an LS1 ?