Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clearances and temperature

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There will be some number somewhere in a technical document about expansion rates for different materials.

Another great example of heat expansion on alloy is watching SM zero lash the valves on one of his engines when it's dead cold and going on a street drive with Tom Bailey and saying the valve lash will be perfect once it's up to operating temp.

SM also had to adjust the main bearing clearance on the BBC engine he built for Cleeter as they were having issues with oil pressure dropping substantially during the drive portion of Rocky Mountain Race Week but it wasn't to bad during a run on the strip. I believe he reduced the bearing clearance by .0005" on the mains. Won't be surprised when they change that engine to a dry sump as it's asking a lot from a wet sump when running 6.50's @ 221mph with 1.1s 60' times.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is another great video that gives a little more info about machining and temps.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
and that also shows the affect the heads have when bolted to the block, that slight distortion should be accounted for when machining the bores too

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Most good machine shops have torque plates to suit most common engines these days. I like the one shown in the video, it even replicates the length of studs used with the heads to better replicate the torque forces on the block.

hmmm, I have this....
iu

It'll be fine....

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Most good machine shops have torque plates to suit most common engines these days. I like the one shown in the video, it even replicates the length of studs used with the heads to better replicate the torque forces on the block.

hmmm, I have this....
iu

It'll be fine....
Did you learn nothing from Steve's PRI hone video? Lol

What grade are your stones?
Will the fine stone do a good plateau job?