Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunking coming from the front (with vid)

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Sorry for wind, can hear the clunk best around 22 seconds

Been hearing this clunking for some time now and haven't been able to figure it out, I've looked over the suspension and ended up changing the sway bar links with no success, looked at the sway bar bushings which appear in good condition (no cracks or anything), given everything to do with suspension a wiggle and everything seems good.. so before I pull everything apart I figured I'd ask if anyone has come across this exact noise and fixed it?

Can the sway bar bushes be worn without them being cracked? I've also included a pic of the strut top plates, do they look normal or could the rust/corrosion be linked to something wrong?

Cheers

Attachments

• 20200104_160126.jpg
    20200104_160126.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 759

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Can't tell from the noise but strut top bushes collapsing as they get older is very normal so would be a good idea to replace them. How many ks on the car? It probably needs new shocks too.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Can't tell from the noise but strut top bushes collapsing as they get older is very normal so would be a good idea to replace them. How many ks on the car? It probably needs new shocks too.

Got about ~135,000 on the clock. I've found the bushings for ~$30 on ebay.. would it be a bad idea "cheaping out" on them? and would you recommend getting a new coilover set for the front and rear instead of just shocks if I were to go down that path?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would rather spend the money on quality struts and strut tops than a cheap crap assembled strut. All depends on the brand. I'd look for Mackay Rubber or maybe Kelpro and KYB EXCELG Struts for a decent combination.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Your strut top plates look a little high so the actual strut mounts (under that plate) could be worn out. As a suggested previously, it could be time for new struts, bump stops and strut mounts

Also have you checked the caster arms and control arms at the bushings and ball joints?

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
I would rather spend the money on quality struts and strut tops than a cheap crap assembled strut. All depends on the brand. I'd look for Mackay Rubber or maybe Kelpro and KYB EXCELG Struts for a decent combination.

Is there any mid tier options? Also, I've done that bounce test with the front and rear and they both seem to not bounce more than once

Your strut top plates look a little high so the actual strut mounts (under that plate) could be worn out. As a suggested previously, it could be time for new struts, bump stops and strut mounts

Also have you checked the caster arms and control arms at the bushings and ball joints?

Thanks for pointing out the top plate, I jacked up the front and noticed that the top plate was sitting flush when it was raised.. so would that 100% mean the strut mounts need to be changed?

Also checked every bushing and ball join, look good and theres no wiggling on anything

I don't have spring compressors either, do these look fine?

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I've also included a pic of the strut top plates, do they look normal or could the rust/corrosion be linked to something wrong?

Agree with @greenacc that the top bushes appear to be stuffed/compressed, but that would not explain the clunk. When you replace them you may discover the reason for the clunk somewhere else.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you look around you will find some KYB at a decent price. At worst wait for a 30% off day at Repco but you will probably still find them cheaper online.
Sway Bar D bushes make a rattle noise when they are loose enough for the sway bar to slide left and right when you grab it and push pull test it. But if you notice the strut top move up and down when you jack the car they must be compressed enough to make noise.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
If you look around you will find some KYB at a decent price. At worst wait for a 30% off day at Repco but you will probably still find them cheaper online.
Sway Bar D bushes make a rattle noise when they are loose enough for the sway bar to slide left and right when you grab it and push pull test it. But if you notice the strut top move up and down when you jack the car they must be compressed enough to make noise.

My thoughts are if the mount is pushed up when it is on a flat surface are that when the wheel drops a bit going over an uneven road its pretty much dropping in the dip and then smashing it back up when it hits even ground.. I'll try recreate that when its jacked up again.

With the sway bar bushes is it possible they look fine but still be worn, and is there a specific way to change them in a 2011 omega? I was trying the other day and can't get my arm any further than the forearm

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree about the strut top jumping up and down. Sway Bar bushes are pretty easy. I had no trouble reaching down over the radiator with a ratchet from memory ( could have been a spanner)