Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code P2227-00

sphynx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Holden Barina RS (1.4L Turbo) and keep getting trouble code P2227-00 which is “Barometric Pressure (BARO) sensor performance”.

I was hoping someone else had same issue and can help me on what was done to fix it.

I have already purchased a brand new genuine MAP sensor but still the same code keeps coming up (see photo attached)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

sphynx

Attachments

• 659E5790-B2FC-4759-8FD7-009855B1025F.jpeg
    659E5790-B2FC-4759-8FD7-009855B1025F.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 127

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
How's your Air filter looking?
Dusty and dirty? Replace it if it is.
Check the MAF (AirFLOW) sensor isn't dusty dirty. Clean it with a MAF sensor cleaner NOT solvent. And let it dry for 30 mins before plugging back in.

Did you make sure the port in the intake manifold that the MAP (BARO) sensor goes into isn't blocked/clogged up with oil and carbon deposits (regular servicing occouring??) or missed a service, did a service, missed a service, did a service is going on?

sphynx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore
Hi VT2Commie,

Thanks for your reply, air filter is brand new as well as the MAF sensor. I also made sure the port was not blocked & yes always serviced regularly. Also confirmed all wires from MAP sensor to ECU are good.

sphynx

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
All genuine GM parts?

sphynx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore
Air filter is RYCO
MAP is genuine GM part
MAF is from Repco

cheers.

sphynx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore
Hi Lex,

Thanks for your reply, I previously had a trouble code saying MAF sensor was faulty.

After replacing it with a new MAF sensor I bought from Repco, trouble code went away.

Now when I do a scan, trouble code P2227-00 comes up.

sphynx

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The code indicates a mismatch between what some sensors are indicating and what the ecu thinks should be the case. The problem could be faulty MAP sensor, wiring issue or ECU issue. That’s why some fault analysis is required as throwing a parts cannon can become expensive.

So how have you determined that the MAP sensor is the faulty item?

(BAP and MAP sensors are one in the same)

Last edited:

sphynx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore
Hi Skylarking,

Thanks for your reply, I did a scan with my scan tool & trouble code P2227-00 was coming up which is “Barometric Pressure (BARO) sensor performance” issue. So I just assumed the sensor was faulty & purchased a new genuine one, but by the looks of it, something else is causing that code to come up. I’ve checked wiring plug for good connections as well as tracing the 3 wires all the way to ECU & all seems ok.

sphynx

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I don’t have a service manual for a Barina but I’d guess the ECU provides a 5V reference for the BAP/MAP sensor to operate. The ECU reads the BAP sensor signal wire (which may be some voltage between a specified upper and lower limit relative to the 5V reference, normally 4.5V to 0.5V). Barometric pressure sensor would return a specific voltage for a given air pressure and often the workshop manual would lists sensor output voltage vs pressure in a graph which can be used to check its accuracy.

So the error can be (1) the ECU 5V reference isn’t 5V which throws off the reading, (2) the wire has some resistance to it (possibly due to dirty or corroded contacts) which throws off the reading, (3) the earth connector is lose or corroded throwing off the reading, (4) the reference voltage or earth wire has a resistive short to earth, (5) the BAP sensor itself is out of calibration so throws off the reading or (5) another sensor that the ECU uses to cross check stuff is out of spec throwing out the math which results in the ECU failing the sanity check for what it’s seeing (but you'd think it would point to that other sensor though that’s not a given)..

As such, a simple continuity check may not be sufficient to rule out wiring or connector issues, ecu voltage reference issues or earthing issues. You really need to check the wire & connector resistance end to end at high accuracy and hopefully the manufacture has speced the allowable limits.

Problem is that sometimes it can be a pita and a lengthy process to localise the fault so many resort to the easy thing first which is change a part, then another part, etc. but this can be costly way to fault find… The correct diagnostic workflow is specified within the workshop manual and should be followed in some form or other since the DTC is a start point for the workflow ;)

The following video indicates that BAP/MAP faults could be caused by MAF fault due to the way the wiring and ECU logic works sensors while the other video indicates that the similar part numbers may not be fully cross compatible and suggests one buy from a dealer using your VIN.