Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] crane 288

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, its my turn again to ask a stupid question without hitting the "search" button

i am getting sick to death of working on the impala, so thinking of switching back to the commo and squeezing more horses out of her.

now ive seen a couple of members getting really good figures out of the crane 288, and was wondering if i could get a bit more info.

is it available for 308, or just 5.0? does it have a cheaper cousin? will i need a single plane inlet manifold, or will the edelbrock performer be ok? am i looking at a 3k stall converter? will 3.55 diff gears be ok? will it be too wild to drive throug city traffic everyday?

and anything else i need to consider. CR is approx 10.7:1, dizzy will be regraphed (again) kitted trimatic trans. etc

i have read the tech specs on it, so please dont post the generic answers, i am looking for people who have dealt with one before and their expierences.

thanks

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Look at the specs, it starts making power at 3800RPM....Thats going to need ATLEAST a 4000RPM convertor, probably closer to 4500RPM to get it to work properly. Works to 7500, that means your performer is going to need to be ditched in favour of a big single plain (i'd go TP to be honest, Torker is probably still to small for that cam IMO). Going to need atleast a 750 pumper Holley, pretty major headwork, get the heads machined for double springs (if you havn't already). With that cam and what it needs to go with it, it's going to be a pretty angry engine/driveline.

That'll be a pig of a daily driver, especially in traffic. If it was a stroker, it would make it a bit nicer to drive. For that sort of combo, sell up what you have and go VN heads.

IMO, if you want to drive a fairly angry engine everyday, you can't go past a roller cam, makes it much nicer to drive.

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
to get the best out of the 288, your goin to need, minimum 10-1 comp, good heads, SP manifold, 4500conveter, at least some 3.9 gears, dizzy will deffinatly need to be regraphed, yes the 288 cam is avalible for all holden V8s.

your also goin to need some decen valve train gear,eg, lifters,push rods, rockers, then collets and retainers, decent springs with the required seat pressure and also some decent valves as standard ones would fall apart.

ive been running a 288 in all my combos and they love to rev