Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cross 6 engine oil capacity.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Changed the engine oil on the Cross6 today, that is 4,400km and 14 months since last change, and including a 1,500 return trip to QLD during the last few weeks.
At 152Km, the engine still is quiet, no rattles or clicks, and the old oil, although black in the drain pan, still had a goldy tinge to it while draining.

But what confused me today was the fill amount. I have always refilled it with 6.5L because that is what the owners manual and the Penrite website stated.
But while looking at the SCA and Repco sites today for any specials, I found it should be 7.3L, and the Penrite site also states 7.3L now.

Have I been wrong and underfilling it for the past 80Km and 11 years ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My personal thing has always been to fill until it is full on the dipstick.

If you have had the car since new, or the dipstick lengths don't vary between the models, using the dipstick mark as the reference as being full, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Maybe ask on here that own a cross 6, what length the dipstick is in their car....Then you can compare it to what yours is and make a judgement from there....

My personal opinion, so see what others think...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Checked my records, and the first 3 services were carried out by NRMA Motorserve, and they invoiced me for 7.3 litres of 10W30.
Appears that I have been underfilling it every time I change the oil. :(

Sorta makes sense as the AWD sump is different. Curious as to the owners manual capacity specs of a V6 Adventra.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Checked my records, and the first 3 services were carried out by NRMA Motorserve, and they invoiced me for 7.3 litres of 10W30.
Appears that I have been underfilling it every time I change the oil. :(

Sorta makes sense as the AWD sump is different. Curious as to the owners manual capacity specs of a V6 Adventra.
i took some measurements
3PLUTC3.jpg

Npa8z7t.jpg

seD4MtV.jpg

the drive way is not level so this is reading could be incorrect and i did the oil change back in feb and this from a 05 leo

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Just compared mine ........... 85mm to top hole, overall length 560mm. No part number on it.
With the 7.3litres refill, the oil level is now at the top hole/hatching, rather than the middle hole.

Not going to worry about the underfilling in the past, just curious as to what other V6 AWD members have been doing.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
7.3ltrs is more like the V8.
My previous VZ’s and the VE had around 6.75ltrs

Factory manual states 6.5ltrs but doesn’t differentiate between AWD sump and RWD sump.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
According to Penrite and Castrol oil websites, a Cross8 and Adventra V8 take 8 litres.
Shame Holden couldn't put out an AWD 'supplementary' owner's manual.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
According to Penrite and Castrol oil websites, a Cross8 and Adventra V8 take 8 litres.
Shame Holden couldn't put out an AWD 'supplementary' owner's manual.
I have the Cross 8 owners manual.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have the original owners manual with the servicing booklet, and all the original owner's and servicing details, but it is just a V6 Crewman.