Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect virgin - advice please

H

harrop.senator

Jesus Christ tried enthusiasts cover or shannons? Lol.

My house , 74 Trans am , 94 senator , 89 180sx , WL statesman daily and a 95 CBR 900 all comes out to $260 a month for me with Shannon's.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
insurance for this is over $200 a month in my name

Jesus how many times have you crashed or had cars stolen?

I've been driving modified V8's since I was 17 and the most I've ever paid is $80 per month for full comp with high agreed values.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Remember one year had to pay 2k or 2.5k for insurance...30k car max.

Driving history was mud & one insurance company would touch me...luckily was allowed to modify car but each year it went down as long as didn't lose points or license.Was down to 3pts for nearly 3 years iirc

All good now...everyone gets reamed for utes though.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I think there is more to this than meets the eye. My insurance for my VH with roadside assist is $480 a year. It is on club rego which will make quite a difference. I am still able to clock up quite a few thousand kilometres if I choose. All of the modifications are listed and the car is valued at $50,000. OP is paying about the value of the car in insurance every year. Perhaps he is well known to the insurance company or the law.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
insurance for this is over $200 a month in my name

You must have a shite driving record, combined with a shite area to live, combined with other people with a shite driving record wanting to be on the policy, combined with an insurance company really wanting to reem you...

Wotdogx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You must have a shite driving record, combined with a shite area to live, combined with other people with a shite driving record wanting to be on the policy, combined with an insurance company really wanting to reem you...

I don’t have a poor driving record at all, I don’t want to get into my personal life details however, I’ve applied with a position with SA Police last year and waiting for the intake into the academy, they do not allow people with poor driving history to enter. I have also only had one speeding fine in my short time of driving, never impounded or anything of the sorts. And like I said earlier on I was parked in the car park and then he got out his car, came up to me and told me to start it. It is also for sale on gumtree currently. I don’t know why I’d draw unnecessary attention to myself while in the car in question as I know police are hot on modified fords and commodores.

I don’t know how old you are so I’m not going to assume anything however Shannon’s insurance for a modified vehicle with an agreed full comprehensive insurance value of $20k is very steep for an under 25 year old driver. Insurance statistics show that most young drivers are the causes of a very high percentile of crashes on our roads so that’s why it’s so steep. The area I was also driving in is a very expensive suburb the officer just had it out for me that day unfortunately. I already have it booked in for regency.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don’t have a poor driving record at all, I don’t want to get into my personal life details however, I’ve applied with a position with SA Police last year and waiting for the intake into the academy, they do not allow people with poor driving history to enter. I have also only had one speeding fine in my short time of driving, never impounded or anything of the sorts. And like I said earlier on I was parked in the car park and then he got out his car, came up to me and told me to start it. It is also for sale on gumtree currently. I don’t know why I’d draw unnecessary attention to myself while in the car in question as I know police are hot on modified fords and commodores.

I don’t know how old you are so I’m not going to assume anything however Shannon’s insurance for a modified vehicle with an agreed full comprehensive insurance value of $20k is very steep for an under 25 year old driver. Insurance statistics show that most young drivers are the causes of a very high percentile of crashes on our roads so that’s why it’s so steep. The area I was also driving in is a very expensive suburb the officer just had it out for me that day unfortunately. I already have it booked in for regency.

I went to insure a modified car with Shannons, with an agreed value of $20 k in Feb last year and the premiums were $600 to $700 per year, with me being in the Northern burbs of Adelaide and not in a secured garage....

The reasons behind the defect are suspect from your wording....Alot of us have been around for a long time and can assure you, a cop won't come up and ask you to start your car and rev it in an underground carpark for the heck of it....No matter how many night previous they had a knock back from their other half...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… insurance for a modified vehicle with an agreed full comprehensive insurance value of $20k is very steep for an under 25 year old driver
Yes, even stock V8 for under 25’s can cost $3k or more to insure and those policies come with an eye watering excess close to what the insurance costs :eek: It’s simply based on risk and it’s the insurance company’s way of saying they don’t really want to insure you :oops: It’s the same for old farts that have poor driving records trying to get insurance on V8’s, all insurance companies consider such drivers in powerful cars to be a high risk so they act accordingly.
I went to insure a modified car with Shannons, with an agreed value of $20 k in Feb last year and the premiums were $600 to $700 per year, with me being in the Northern burbs of Adelaide and not in a secured garage....
It’s unfair to compare insurance premium of 25 yo’s (of older drivers with poor driving records) with those that old farts like us can get… And try and get insurance if you’ve been convicted of fraud, especially insurance fraud… You gotta compare apples to apples…

Heck, my insurance provider even went as far as to ask me, during policy application, whether I’d owned and daily driven a vehicles with similar power to weight as the V8 commodore I wanted to insure. And that was despite them providing a reasonably policy cost and excess… just part of their filtering out of risk I guess…

vc, if you’re curious and want to find out how expensive insurance can be, just pretend to be a 23 yo and jump on the web and try to insure your ungaraged car in the norther suburbs. It’ll be an eye opener into being reamed by insurance companies…

As to the reasons behind Watdogx issue and why police asked him to start his engines, it doesn’t really matter much. If a policeman is on the beat and wants to find some defective cars, one doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist to find them… For whatever reason he was pulled out of the crowd, Watdogx now has a defect to resolve which will need lots of $$ spent. He’ll need to change cams, etc… as S.A. is rather tough on such mods as you’ve highlighted.

For Watdogx, it’s just another reaming but this time by S.A. Gov. Defect vigin or not, Wadogx’s farts will now be a little less rumbling after the reaming he’ll get going over the pits..

Watdogx, for an absence of uncertainty, in S.A. the following applies

All vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1986 must comply with ADR 37, including:
  • This category of vehicle may only be fitted with an engine complying with ADR 37 or later ie an engine designed to operate only on unleaded fuel), which incorporates all associated emission control components.
  • Fitting an engine other than an original or optional engine requires approval from the Department for Infrastructure and Transport.
  • No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or the catalytic converter are permitted.
  • Airflow meters must not be disconnected.
  • Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
  • Extra or larger fuel injectors or variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted.
  • If the vehicle was originally fitted with a catalytic converter by the manufacturer, the vehicle must continue to operate with one.
And they will look at all roadworthy issues whether listed on the defect or not as indicated in this doc… Best to be well prepared and have checked everything meets tne roadworthy requirements before inspection and take some lube with you just to make the process less painful…

Wotdogx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What work have you done before booking into regency?

Stock LS1 cam
New exhaust with dual cats and super quiet
Catch can off
OTR is on however going to drive it there with MAF disconnected and then connect it for the inspection
FE2 suspension in rear
Also had to find 2 trans pan bolts as they somehow walked themselves out?