Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

delco 808. Fool it into thinking there is a motor attached.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I have bought a delco 808 from ebay with a memcal. I am planning on playing around with some piggy-back boards. As I don't want to have my engine attached when it all goes pear-shapped I would like to simulate a motor.

Does any one know of (or has a good link to) information to fool the ecu into thinking it has a motor attached so it will run through it's program properly?

Mike

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
just datalog and adjust accordingly ie. dont make changes until you know what you want to change

otherwise tunerpro RT allows you to datalog and simulate the difference with memcal changes..... but then thats not any good for piggyback systems

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I am designing my own piggy back system. I want to look at how the computer operates. It is much easier for me to fool the ecu than bring my workshop to the car.

Mike

F

Frd_thmsn

Could you use external circuits to simulate what you want.?

Temperature could just be resistors, maybe even a pot.

O2 sensor, I have made an O2 sensor simulator which uses a 555 and works ok.

The MAP you could use an adjustable regulator , and just dial in the voltage, it,s between 0-5V

Not sure about the DFI module, maybe some sort of PWM circuit using a 555 timer to simulate the frequency , maybe adjustable.

All the outputs could be by LED,s so you can see if active, such as TCC solenoid A/C etc.

Sounds like could be a complex circuit by the end.

Do you have the circuit for the ECU showing what inputs and outputs are on the ECU, if you don,t let us know and I could PM it to you.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Yea I figured that that would be the case. I've got a schematic (or a link to one) for the 808.

The O2 sensor sounds interesting, the VN S1 runs the one wire O2 sensor so I think it is just a voltage. I will just have to go to town with pots from my junk box. I even have a pc controlled arbitary waveform generator which I could use for the crank angle sensor, (any info on the frequency to rpm conversion on that?).

Mike

F

Frd_thmsn

We,ll have to look into this .

I think the ignition would pulse 3 times per crankshaft revolution.
The injectors should be once per revolution.
I remember reading somewhere, (I,ll keep looking) something about the coils being double ended and each one doing 2 cylinders so there is something strange there needs to be confirmed.

Also do the injectors need their own pulse or are they internally triggered by the DFI pulses?

Theres a circuit for a PWM in one of the silicon chip auto books,

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
michaelw said:
Yea I figured that that would be the case. I've got a schematic (or a link to one) for the 808.

The O2 sensor sounds interesting, the VN S1 runs the one wire O2 sensor so I think it is just a voltage. I will just have to go to town with pots from my junk box. I even have a pc controlled arbitary waveform generator which I could use for the crank angle sensor, (any info on the frequency to rpm conversion on that?).

Mike

Hi Mike.

If you can PM me with some more info on what you after Imay be able to help you,as i have Engine Programe & Data refrence for this box. :yeah:

Cheers lou.
BCT