Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers front seat base foam

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hahahaha, mine is in getting done as we speak. He needs it two days and said today there is a lot of work involved repairing the cover, so was glad he asked to have it two days. But Google said it should be two hours? Maybe I should ask how he can justify $500 for a metre of vinyl and 2hrs labour?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’m just leaving this here for reasons.
Somehow I keep wondering who this was referring too.....? Someone said to me when I showed them this post from Fu, trying to figure out who Fu meant they said to me, well if the shoe fits....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1690337100985.png

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hahahaha, mine is in getting done as we speak. He needs it two days and said today there is a lot of work involved repairing the cover, so was glad he asked to have it two days. But Google said it should be two hours? Maybe I should ask how he can justify $500 for a metre of vinyl and 2hrs labour?
I can understand the 2 days if he is glueing and shaping, you have to wait for the glue to go off. But he can't charge you for watching glue dry..
Labour....... maybe $100 >$120 per hour.
2 hours ? That would be rip, rip, woodchip, Ahhh, F***, start again..

Kilroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive Wagon
The go is a passenger side foam base. Given these are still coming through wrecking yards it shouldn't be too hard to find a good one. The parts that wear most are the back rest and base door side bolsters and obviously the middle of the seat base.
If you have a go please post a vid if you can. Shaping foam and getting it right is not easy from what trimmers have told me and why it's a dying art.
I'd be interested to see how it turns out. Especially after I was told it was cheaper to buy new foams than it would be to make new ones. Obviously the labour cost is what makes it cheaper to find them pre-made.

The trimmer doing my seat this week was happy to hear I had new foams as it would have more than doubled the price to repair mine and I'm looking at $500 for one seat. And all he will be doing is replacing about five panels and reusing the rest of the cover, along with my new foams I'm supplying.
Wreckers wanted $100, fir each seat. The foam and glue will be less than $60. The process to swap the base foam to the drivers side gets me to where the foam needs replacing so as I’m handy with such things, going to put some new foam in, and add to it to make it firmer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wreckers wanted $100, fir each seat. The foam and glue will be less than $60. The process to swap the base foam to the drivers side gets me to where the foam needs replacing so as I’m handy with such things, going to put some new foam in, and add to it to make it firmer.
Have a look at meshing the underside where they crack. This is what my motor trimmer just did to mine as I supplied him with the wrong base and he needed to rebuild mine.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have a look at meshing the underside where they crack. This is what my motor trimmer just did to mine as I supplied him with the wrong base and he needed to rebuild mine.
Got a photo of of the end job? Well. End of the seat retrim?