Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving without ABS rings

obicevq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice S2
Hi, I have a damaged ABS ring on my front right rotor and when I'm almost at a complete stop I get a grinding/binding noise coming from that wheel.

So, I'm thinking of taking both ABS rings from my front wheels and hoping that will eliminate the grinding until I can find a replacement ring to install. I'm aware that I won't have ABS until I have the rings on, but I just want the grinding gone for now.

Anyone have any experience driving without the rings on?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What makes you think that you have a damaged ABS Ring? Sounds more like hub bearings or worn brake pads. The ABS ring on the front is integrated into the hub unit not the rotor, and according to the Holden Workshop manual:

"NOTE: Apart from wheel stud replacement, there are no serviceable items in the front wheel hub assembly. With the unit being a 'sealed for life' assembly, there are no requirements for wheel speed sensor and/or bearing adjustments. Should a non-standard condition develop, then the hub assembly must be replaced as complete unit."

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Anyone have any experience driving without the rings on?

I've driven without ABS rings in other cars by pulling the ABS fuse otherwise the ABS system freaks out. The only replacement hubs available didn't come with any and the old ones were to big to fit on so I had no other choice until I could work out some kind of adapter.

I agree with above though, sounds like more investigation is waranted.