Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DSLR Camera

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Hey

I'm looking for a new camera, looking for a goodish one for around $350, probably using eBay.

Good quality pictures with a half decent video function and a rechargeable battery (Not 4 AA's if possible)

My main pictures will be car show's and scenery.

Which one would you think is a good one. that $350 is just an estimate and if i have to i can go over that.

thanks

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
You want a video-capable DSLR for $350? Very unlikely.

Video is pretty standard on brand new DSLRs now, but you will be hard pressed to find one that cheap.

For $350 you can get a good point and shoot camera with slick video functionality, or you can get a 2nd hand DSLR with one general 18-55 lens. You'll still have to hunt though, and you won't get both benefits for that price.

Personally I would take the DSLR, but that's because I prefer photo to video recording. Pick your vice, and hope you don't regret it :p

I don't know much about the point and shoot option, but you can certainly get a good DSLR quite cheap now. I would go Canon, but that's personal preference. Nikon have brilliant beginner tutorial modes etc so they make it easy to get the hang of them. Also, a cheaper Pentax DSLR will get you some good shots, plus it has the image stabiliser built into the camera instead of making you pay up for it on each lens.

Last edited:

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. Look... Video isn't that important, TVR-161 was looking at one on eBay before that I liked (thread in this forum) and I made an offer of $250 and the seller counter offered $259 but I didn't accept in time. That had video, down side is that it used AA batterys, but I prefer rechargable ones. That one was the DSLR, fugifilm I believe.

I'll wait for more answers before I buy, but it is a good base

thanks

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
was it a dslr or look like a dslr point and shoot?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
was it a dslr or look like a dslr point and shoot?

My thoughts exactly. Not likely to find a video-capable DSLR with a lens for $259, aye :p

OP, DSLRs have removable lenses. Chunky point and shoot cameras that pretend to be DSLRs are not quite the same thing.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
It all depends on how much you have to spend, DSLR's with a lens kit start at around $1300 - $1500

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
crap, shows how much i know. i know about the rechargeable AA's, its just i dont like them, i prefer just standard rechargeable battery's.

New FUJIFILM FinePix S2000hd Digital Camera Black - eBay 10.0 - 11.9 Megapixels, Compact, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Jan-10 17:26:12 AEDST) was the one. that is a point and shoot.

which would you recommend? point and shoot or a full DSLR, note that i am no professional, just a beginner.

To be honest the 'AA' rechargables imo are far better then the alternative. If you need to replace them or have a spare set around it cost no where near the cost of others and you can get them from the supermarket.
As for your DSLR style cameras they are a waste of time. Reason being is that they are not far of the weight and size of a true DSLR but are no better then the smaller point and shoot cameras.
I have a perfect condition Sony point and shoot I could sell you for 300 if you like lol.

Hope that helps

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
As for your DSLR style cameras they are a waste of time. Reason being is that they are not far of the weight and size of a true DSLR but are no better then the smaller point and shoot cameras.
s

That is so far from the truth it isnt funny. Many dslr style cameras allow shooting in raw, something which hardly any small point and shoots allow. This in itself makes it worthwhile.