Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno/road test tuning LS1

patty wh

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International S2
Just want to know the pros and cons.

My mechanic said the guy that does his LS1 work, when tuning, plugs up the laptop, does whatever, then takes the car out and tests it and tunes it that way.

What are the pros and cons compared to dyno tuning.

Thanks people.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
hey mate,
Im getting a street tune done tomorrow by a tuner who had done hundreds of dyno tunes, he is doing mine street because my car is AWD so it wont go on his 2WD dyno.

As far as i can tell, from a little research is that a DYNO is designed to replicate the high stress requirements of an engine and drive line that they would experience on road, only in a controlled, traffic free, speedlimitless zone.

The tuning itself, will be very much the same, as it is still programmed in real time, only it will be done in weather, on different roads, in traffic, speed limits etc, so the engine cannot be tuned to its full potential right through the rev range.

Ill let you know how my tune goes.

cheers
Tristen

patty wh

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International S2
hey mate,
Im getting a street tune done tomorrow by a tuner who had done hundreds of dyno tunes, he is doing mine street because my car is AWD so it wont go on his 2WD dyno.

As far as i can tell, from a little research is that a DYNO is designed to replicate the high stress requirements of an engine and drive line that they would experience on road, only in a controlled, traffic free, speedlimitless zone.

The tuning itself, will be very much the same, as it is still programmed in real time, only it will be done in weather, on different roads, in traffic, speed limits etc, so the engine cannot be tuned to its full potential right through the rev range.

Ill let you know how my tune goes.

cheers
Tristen

Thanks for that.

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
My original tune was a street tune and when dyno tuned there was only about 5kw difference. To get all your Air Fuel Ratios(AFR's) spot on it will need to be tuned on the dyno.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A dyno is more convenient that's all. Because you can get the engine under load right through the rev range, it makes it more accurate to tune. But the downside is ambient temperature, the car will run hotter on a dyno because there is little or no airflow, even if they use a fan, it is still blowing warm workshop air at the engine.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Mine was tuned while I was driving it. My tuner was doing his thing on his lappy.... I took it for a dyno and she pull's 299.7 rwhp so I'm pretty happy with that...

Also got the best fuel consumtion this week. so far I have used 70 ltrs and have done 570k's best ever for me still alittle more juice to go. might get close to 600k's

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1

Last edited: