Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

1986-1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbo - 5.7L vu ute
i say the alloytec would be the newer and better motor anthough it hant realy had the time to show its faults like the 1995 ecotec. because of the ecotec being in a lighter car id preffer to drive a vs over a vz any day.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
no supprise the ecotec has more votes only because its been in more cars, but the alloytec is alot better in terms of performance and economy.

benoit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6/ vr ss
ecotec cause i've done over 400 passes over the 1/4 on a stock bottom end

cdtoaster

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
alloytecs dont leak like a seive like an ecotec, hence protecting your driveway from oil stains

dont wanna know what you do with your cars. my ecotech hasnt put a drop of oil on the ground in the 6 1/2 years its been in the family

Marso96

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
I've had heaps of ecotecs and two alloytechs. The performance is a LOT better in the alloytech, smoother, stiffer, more off the throttle but once it gets to the higher top speed, it's shocking. Dragged my mates ecotec and at the top speed he was pulling away like nothig

As for reliability ecotech for sure! I've heard nothing but bad things come from alloytech when it comes to the timing chain once it hits 200thou. Whereas an ecotech will go to 300, 400 with good maintainence.

Plus the alloytech is a bitch to work on.. No room, hassle just to change the plugs. It's a 2 hour job just to take the plugs out! The ontop of that, you have to replace the gasket and all sorts of ****!

Ecotech is definitley the better engine

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I traded to a VZ SV6 , from a VX Equipe , that had the following mods - SS Growler intake , 12mm plenum spacer , 12mm manifold insulator , 69mm throttle body with tune , high ratio rockers , extractors , and 2.5inch exhaust , and have to say the VZ has it beaten hugely in terms of power, preformance, and smoothness .
I think the Alloytec gets a bit of an unfair rap from some people .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I traded to a VZ SV6 , from a VX Equipe , that had the following mods - SS Growler intake , 12mm plenum spacer , 12mm manifold insulator , 69mm throttle body with tune , high ratio rockers , extractors , and 2.5inch exhaust , and have to say the VZ has it beaten hugely in terms of power, preformance, and smoothness .
I think the Alloytec gets a bit of an unfair rap from some people .

Which gearbox does your VZ run?

TBH, I don't think the alloytec engines were a huge step up in performance, just have a look at how much extra torque it makes over the ecotec (and then look at how much extra torque that made over the Buick 3800V6....), the difference is only that it spins faster (320Nm, 304Nm, 292Nm). Torque X rpm = power. By simply spinning the engine faster you can make more power even if your not really making any more torque. I think the biggest difference was the improvement in gearbox options. The standard fare 4L60e box is Ok but it's not fantastic as a performance orientated gearbox as the ratio's are just to wide. 5 and 6 speed automatics are going to eat a 4 speed even if they have the exact same power.

They do have more easy potential though with multi-over heads cams etc.....

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Which gearbox does your VZ run?

TBH, I don't think the alloytec engines were a huge step up in performance, just have a look at how much extra torque it makes over the ecotec (and then look at how much extra torque that made over the Buick 3800V6....), the difference is only that it spins faster (320Nm, 304Nm, 292Nm). Torque X rpm = power. By simply spinning the engine faster you can make more power even if your not really making any more torque. I think the biggest difference was the improvement in gearbox options. The standard fare 4L60e box is Ok but it's not fantastic as a performance orientated gearbox as the ratio's are just to wide. 5 and 6 speed automatics are going to eat a 4 speed even if they have the exact same power.

It's got the high output 190 Alloytec which I realise is night and day compared to the Ecotec ,it's got the 5 speed auto as well , only mod ( so far ) is a Mace CAI .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk