Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec to l67 top swap help

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Hi everyone, I have just blown a headgasket or cracked the head on my ute (likely cracked)
I'm going to be pulling the heads off this week or weekend sometime. I am thinking of doing a l67 top swap while I'm at it and I know that it's a lot stronger if I swap the full engine but I'm only going to run stock psi or 10 psi max.

I'm wondering if this is an okay solution and If anyone more experienced than me can give any advice to any trouble I might encounter, Thanks Josh

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You need to have it tuned because of the different compression, otherwise it will just lean out and detonate and you'll be in the same boat. Good luck running 10 pound with Ecotec compression.

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
I read on l67torque you could run 10psi on the ecotec but anything more would cause preoblems, and I realize a tune is needed I will get a memcal done by theone or greenfoam or someone on the forum unless I can use a factory vs l67 memcal

H

harrop.senator

Ran ten pound on ecotec compression before . Ecotecs not high compression for boost by any means just that its not intercooled and the lim temperatures go through the roof after a while. If you run 98 fuel through it you'll be fine. (in my opinion. Have had mates with top swaps and ten pounds and motors didnt blow)

As with the timing and the custom tune needed the cars fitted with knock sensors and whether its 3 psi 20 psi or so it will retard the timing when knock is detected. (PING) whether its enough to save it or not is a different question.

You fit a mace insulator itll definitely help with the ping resistance a lot. Even more if you set a water injection up through the insulator.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
H

harrop.senator

If thats a bit rich for you a lot of regrinders (south side engines in perth if youre in wa) can regrind yours to 210-215 degrees and .500-.510 lift for about $160 That with your l36 timing set as it retards the camshaft a further 2 degrees is a really good bang for your buck. As long as the valve springs havent gone soft they wont stack up and usually the pushrod length is still correct to. The longer duration will help bleed some dynamic compression out also!

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Thanks for the help but if all goes to plan I'll be buying a complete l67 vx this weekend and will be doing a complete engine swap using my existing auto and swapping the torque converter over.

H

harrop.senator

Rad youll definitely want to at least drop the pulley size pretty instantly or you may be a bit dissapointed with the effort youve put into swapping it theyre not very impressive out the box.

whipple v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu v6 ute
You need to have it tuned because of the different compression, otherwise it will just lean out and detonate and you'll be in the same boat. Good luck running 10 pound with Ecotec compression.
if you go ahead with you will hove to run a 11.00 air/fuel ratio