Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU Replacement Question

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
I've got a friend here in Wisconsin with a Pontiac G8 GXP that has been parked for quite a while. It wouldn't start, said Contact Dealer, and I diagnosed it to have a dead ECU. So I need to replace it, and I have a Tech 2 so I can program a new one. But I've never programed an ECU for a VE before, all my experience is with VZ.

Do I need to have him get any security codes from the dealer so I can link the new ECU to the other modules? Or does it just need to be programmed with the correct VIN?

2007sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I've got a friend here in Wisconsin with a Pontiac G8 GXP that has been parked for quite a while. It wouldn't start, said Contact Dealer, and I diagnosed it to have a dead ECU. So I need to replace it, and I have a Tech 2 so I can program a new one. But I've never programed an ECU for a VE before, all my experience is with VZ.

Do I need to have him get any security codes from the dealer so I can link the new ECU to the other modules? Or does it just need to be programmed with the correct VIN?
Needs to be Programmed and Linked. a Tech 2 Scanner can do it. but you have to know what your doing..

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Needs to be Programmed and Linked. a Tech 2 Scanner can do it. but you have to know what your doing..
I know how to program one and how to security link. What I'm wondering is when I go to link it will I need to provide a security code that I need to get from the dealership?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I know how to program one and how to security link. What I'm wondering is when I go to link it will I need to provide a security code that I need to get from the dealership?
Not sure on a VE’s with a Tech2
If your already in to it, you should be able get the option to link them,
Possibly that is we’re it should ask for security code,

I do know the Autel will automatically display the Security code when you get in the main menu,
And the Autel has a seperate menu to link ECU & BCM,

That said, have never had to do one.
But I have seen the security code displayed, and the linking menu.

Last edited: