Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] EFI Conversion

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
First of all, I apologise if this has been covered before, I did a quick search through the V8 Development and Modification section as well as the VB - VK section and suprisingly couldn't find anything. My car is a VB, it has a VK 308 Black motor. It is currently carburetted. I am thinking of converting it do EFI due to the improvement in reliability, and hopefully, a small improvement in both power and fuel consumption. What would be needed to convert the motor over to EFI? It would be great if someone could post up a complete list of what I would need and rough prices. AFAIK I would need a VL fuel tank, fuel pump and fuel return line and the head set up from a VN. Is this correct? Any help would be great!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
You will need:

Complete VN top end, camshaft & lifters, sensors, distributor, ignition module, wiring loom, ECU, air box and such (honestly though i wouldn't waist my time, just buy a complete VN engine and slot that in...)
VL fuel tank and pumps
VL Fuel return line
VN headers/extractors, Cat converter and exhaust

That's about it really, pretty straight forward conversion really. You will need to modify/patch the EFI wiring harness into the VB loom.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
thanks for that, so a 304 conversion would be more logical then

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Easier yeah, He shouldn't need a cat in the VB should he?

I'd doubt you'd get pinged in a VB anyway.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---

as it is, the car is insanely loud. its easily over the legal limit, and yet i have been tailed closely by a cop for a couple of kms on a few occassions now and no-one has raised an eyebrow. i think its because i drive it sensibly and dont rev its tits off at every set of traffic lights haha

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Volume hasn't really got anything to do with it.
VB was released along time before catalytic converters were made mandatory. So even if the 304 is supposed to have it, I Highly doubt anyone will pick it.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
There is a product that looks like a holey 4 barrel carb that contains the injectors and all the electronics. that would give you a bit of a power boost and the matching manifold wouldn't hurt either. There's a article in street machine where they install one and get a decent power gain and better fuel economy.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0

Technically, yes he will need a cat....The emissions need to comply with the engine, not the car. Both my EFI converted cars have cats on them, because i can't afford the $2000 per cylinder fine if i did get pinged :p

For the sake of it, i'd just put one on there, then it's completely legal.