Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] efi v8 turbo

sam5l

australias driving future
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5L / vn spak buick powered
now wat kind of turbo would i use? or how do i work that out? wat sort of power would i be looking at? has anyone on here done the conversion? is it worth it? is it reliable? roughly how much would it cost? i dunno much about turbos thats the problem

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I wouldnt be putting a turbo on a 5lt v8 without replacing the crank and rods with a decent crank such as the C.O.M.E racing setup.
That is unless you dont mind picking up the parts down the road after it explodes.

IMO i would shoot these guys an email and query them - [email protected]

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I wouldnt be putting a turbo on a 5lt v8 without replacing the crank and rods with a decent crank such as the C.O.M.E racing setup.
That is unless you dont mind picking up the parts down the road after it explodes.

IMO i would shoot these guys an email and query them - [email protected]

The stock crank and rods are pretty strong....

SLE 500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Size of turbo depends on the power level you want to reach and what the car will be used for.
For a daily driver id choose a Garret 35/40. It will spool quick and make great boost over a wide range.
to change to turbo you need to run headers to single merge and plumb into the turbo behind either headlight. run a new length from exhaust housing to a new exhaust. make custom alloy pipe work to feed an intercooler and back to the throttle body. bigger injectors (42 pound), bigger fuel pump (Bosch 044), 2 bar MAP sensor, Cometic or copper head gaskets to prevent blow out with ARP head studs.

This is a basic turbo setup that i will be putting together with 300rwkw in mind. If you dont have access to a welder both stainless and alloy and dont have tools for the mods, just buy a centrifugal blower. Much easier and straight forward with similar outcomes in power. otherwise this setup will cost $$ to have some one make for you.

sam5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replys guys uhh ur talking about a vortec side mount blower? what is one of them worth? and what power difference would there be between carby blown or efi blown thanks guys really appreciated

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
before you even think about putting on a blower or turbo pull the sump off and replace the con rod bolts with ARP ones.

sam5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay thanks mate anyone know about the above

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Before anything else mate, search for "brand new v8 turbo" thread. It was around for ages, about 25 pages of posts about a bloke in NZ's VT 304 with turbo and what he had to do to get it reliable and putting out great power. There's videos of it on utube also. I know "Delcowizzid" was involved but can't remember the owners name...I think it was "69_Hemi" or something.... Depending on where you are and your budget there's different advice.... You might even be better off doing a transplant LS1 than a turbo depending on how much experience you have and how reliable you want it to be.... A fully developed turbo kit properly installed will be about $5K to $7K, as will a Yella Terra supercharger. I reckon you'd get an LS1 plus tranny with a 300kw tune in for less than that and you could do more of that yourself and still have it reliable. I wouldn't go changing anything at all until you have a plan and a budget worked out.
You have "vk calais 5L / vn spak" listed as your rides, which are you talking about? Has the VK got an efi 304 in it?

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
before you even think about putting on a blower or turbo pull the sump off and replace the con rod bolts with ARP ones.

easyer said then done, rods should really have the big ends resized when ARP bolts fitted, plus if he aint goin to rev the motor heaps the standard bolts will be fine (A9Ls have a decent size rod bolt from factory)

should really put some MLS head gaskets on it and ARP head studs 1st